Turning my computer into an FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcat75

In Runtime
So basically I got a new computer, and I want to retrieve my files from my old hard drive without having to take it out of my old computer and putting in the new. That's a hassle imo.

Anyways, how can I turn my old computer into an FTP, so that I can just grab the files off of it, and put them onto my new computer? What would be a good FTP program for that kinda thing? Thanks.

Well I don't really have a crossover cable, I can only hook up my old PC to our internet connection which is shared by a HUB.

Well there you go. It should be pretty easy from there, especially if you already have a network set up.

you go to control panel> network setup wizard, and follow the instructions. Once you have done that on your new computer run the wizrd on the old computer. Now that you have a network set up, just go to MY Computer> right click C( or whatever the hard drive is named)> Sharing and security> the sharing tab in the new window> click the little sentce saying you understand> the check the box saying you want to share the file. Also highlight the box saying you want to be able to change the stuff from another computer or something.

Well it is a little lengthy, but you will be able to share those file over to your new computer.

Networking is your best shot. FTP is just an extra step and would actually take longer to transfer the files. Once your 2 computers are networked together (which it sounds like they already are). Just go into Explorer and right click on a directory that you want to share and choose the option to Share it.

Then you can always browse the network on your other PC and find it browsing through the network.

Or just go to your new computer and go to run and type \\enter old computer name here \enter the name of the shared directory here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom