My OC'ed mobo / CPU makes squealing sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
I have:

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400
RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2 (dual channel configuration)
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II
HD: 250 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB.

Currently my CPU is OCÂ’ed to 368 FSB or 2.95 GHz. The ram is set at 2.0x to keep a 1:1 ratio and its running at about 730 MHz. I have all stock voltages for it runs stable on stock voltages.

I noticed that when I run dual instances of prime 95 or ORTHOS the computer starts to make a high pitch “squealing sound”. Its interment. It only does it some times. It sounds like its coming from around the CPU area on the motherboard. But its hard to tell. Anyway anyone know what it is or how to fix it? When my CPU is maxed out it runs at about 50 – 53c. At idle its in the low 40’s.

Also if I lower the OC the noise is not present. Its only present at higher OC levels and when the CPU is maxed out.

Also the sound changes in frequency. ItÂ’s not a solid tone. I will remove the mobo tomorrow and see if I can hear where its coming from.

If you are using the stock intel fan, thats what my gut thinks the noise is comming from. Try a different one if you can. It's gotta be a fan, I've never heard of the board itself making any real noise, it's always a fan.

I can grab the fan with my hand ans stop it and the noise is still there. Its not the fan. I am 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom