Hard drive upside down

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronvongogo

Fully Optimized
Hello all!

well say if your running diagnostics on many hard drives is it ok to leave them upside down hanging out the case? I was told its not advisable due to how the drive works could damage the spindles inside etc does anyone know if this is correct?

thanks major, I do know the hard drive will function just wondering if it caused any long term damage or was even possible. Anyway thanks good to know I can carry on doing what im doing and if i get fired I can blame it on you :p

baronvongogo said:
thanks major, I do know the hard drive will function just wondering if it caused any long term damage or was even possible. Anyway thanks good to know I can carry on doing what im doing and if i get fired I can blame it on you :p

No you cant; check the disclaimer in my signature :p

I'm pretty sure it won't cause any damage. Different cases are build to hold the hard disks in different positions.

It should be fine, I had a drive hanging outside my case, upside down for months. I installed Ubuntu on it, and couldn't decide whether I wanted to keep dual-booting or not.

Needless to say, that drive is now safely inside the case, with that sexy distro still safely installed and being used regularly!

Physical mounting of the drive:
WD drives will function normally whether they are mounted sideways or upside down (any X, Y, Z orientation). Of course, the physical design of your system may limit the positions in which the drive can be mounted. However, in all cases, you should mount the drive with all four screws for good grounding. Also ensure that there is enough air space around the drive for adequate air flow, and avoid mounting the drive near sources of excessive heat (such as some CPUs).
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...2hfdGV4dD1vcmllbnRhdGlvbg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

uzi9mm said:
my dads dell came with the hard drive standing up on end inside his case.

so my honest opinion... it will be a-ok.

ours did to. I think the only way it at all poses a risk is it exposes the circuity on the bottom. If it breaks and you can prove that was the reason, I'll buy you a new one:p .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom