is this bad for your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard servers are on 24/7 for years, except for maintenance.
yeah, it's true. server downtime=profit downtime. that's why we have all the fancy RAID arrays and more importantly hot swappable drives these days. servers generally run something like hotswappable RAID 0 or 5 arrays so a failed disk can be replaced while the server is still up and the RAID can be repaired.

as a side note i think this is the perfect time to plug TF's folding team. i expect to see all of you who leave your pc on on the F@H list.

nitestick said:
yeah, it's true. server downtime=profit downtime. that's why we have all the fancy RAID arrays and more importantly hot swappable drives these days. servers generally run something like hotswappable RAID 0 or 5 arrays so a failed disk can be replaced while the server is still up and the RAID can be repaired.

as a side note i think this is the perfect time to plug TF's folding team. i expect to see all of you who leave your pc on on the F@H list.

Don't forget hotswappable blades. ;)

It's not bad for the computer to leave it on. mine hasnt been off since july and it's still running fine

Ya the only reason i don't ever turn mine off is because i am always downloading things at night and just using the computer during the day, also my computer hosts all the music and videos on my network.

yea, thats what my "tornado" does (said tornado cause it sounds like one). its still awaiting its home in my closet, but im in the process of building a shelf for it(wood shop) and awaiting a wireless card for it, since i am too cheap to get a 30FT lan cable...and i only want a power cable going in there, so my pops dont freak about it.

Mine was on pretty much all the the time because it served as server in my home LAN, ie: our other computers connected to the internet through it. Since usually someone was downloading stuff during the night, it had to stay on.

We now have a wirless router so I can turn my (new) compy off when I'm not using it

My computer is never shut down, however I reboot frequently being that I play some games that is not natively supported in Linux. So I often reboot to switch over to Windoze.

So yeah, reboot every now and then.

I'm also told that SATA drives have a much higher tolerance to being on all the time vs IDE drives. Something about the way the power is... on IDE drives it continuously fluxuates which causes the drive to spin faster/slower, where as with SATA it's constant, real steady... Kind of like highway driving vs city driving with vehicles in regards to gas mileage.

Not sure how true that is, but it's just something I've been taught in my few short months in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom