***Free copy of Vista Business and Office 2007!!***

Status
Not open for further replies.
no you don't have to pay tax. They are both for free unless i missed something. Can you quote it if you do you have to pay tax?

The W-9 isn't so you get charged tax, it's so that when Microsoft (or whoever) is filing with the IRS, they can claim you as being a legal resident and receiving some sort of payment/gift.

When you win a certain amount on a lottery ticket, before they cut you a check, they make you fill out a W-9 or a similar form, and you may have that included as 'income' when you file taxes. So no, this isn't probably going to be 'free-as-in-beer', but it'll be close. =)

By the way, it's snowing outside.

Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. If you are eligible for and register to receive both gifts, you must complete a W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) form prior to receipt of the second gift.

I dont understand why they would be giving these away? Nothing is free and they arent getting anything out of it. They are just losing money from it.

Mentali$T said:
Nothing is free

Linux is free. Open source software is free. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is free. Lots of great stuff is free.

Are you going to question and second-guess this, or are you going to take what you can get for free?

The General said:
Linux is free. Open source software is free. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is free. Lots of great stuff is free.

Are you going to question and second-guess this, or are you going to take what you can get for free?

lol calm down! if i could get it then yea sure i would but i was only saying that its suprising the Microsoft would give anything away for free.

Well, if you haven't registered yet, Vista won't be free for you anymore. They just closed registration.

If they give away 10,000 copies to people who are dedicated geeks, who are developing for Windows, maybe doing IT work, or something related to that, who will actually PUSH 'normal' users to switch faster, they will make even more sales for Vista, Vista apps, compatible and upgraded hardware, etc.

Get more people to switch faster = more profit

It sounded like a scam: visit this website, watch a few videos and get a free copy of Windows Vista or Office 2007.

But the PowerTogether.com website was a legitimate Microsoft-run site. Aimed at software developers and architects, the site offered free copies of both titles to those who watched at least three web-based seminars on each of the new products.

Unfortunately, for those looking to score their free copy, Microsoft said it has already received sign-ups from the 30,000 people it had hoped to register for the program. The site now says "sold out" when people come to register for the giveaway.

http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39164502,00.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom