media pc question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukem

Where am I again?
I'm doing a media PC build and I'm trying S775 for the first time. I'm picking up this board from blaackoran: Asus P5LD2-VM. I also have some older DDR2 3200 (pulled from a Dell GX280) and I wanna get an Pentium D 920... This machine will not be used for games at all and I'm gonna use one of my 6800GS's for the GPU...

Question is will the 920 (being dual core) handle decent multi-tasking in a media environment? or should I get an E6300 (which I feel would be a waste of money for what I want to use it for)

opinions? advice? I'm not against getting the 6300, but I don't feel justified enough to spend the extra cash for what will be a media server in essence...

The E6300 is hardly a waste of money since it's a very cheap processor already. Spend a few bucks and you'll have a bit more flexibility.

I know, no one cares... but I bought the 6300. :) I can use it later on to upgrade my machine. but for now I'm still happyt with my AMD.

You really don't need much processor power for a MythTV box (or MCE, whatever) ... it's a common misconception ... My MythTV box has a 1Ghz VIA processor and I have never experienced slowness. That Pentium D is more than enough.

That's what I thought, but when I get it all done... I'll probably get bored and swap it out with this AMD machine I use for gaming now. So mainly I got it for the upgradablity later on. I also got some PC5400 ram for it as well... found 2, 1GB Centon sticks for 65.00 bucks so I think this will work for now... and **** I REALLY get bored I can throw my GTS in it and make IT the gaming machine! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom