AutoRun stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazetrk

Beta member
Out of nowhere i realised that autorun/autoplay on my optic drivers stopped working. I haven't made a major change on anything. It also works 100% when i right click the driver on My Computer and select AutoPlay. Why did this happen and how can i take it back to make autorun active again?
Thanks in advance.

OS is Windows XP Pro

this should do it....

hey....usually this problem is caused by outdated cd rom drivers...incompatible cd drivers with xp or seldomly if roxio easy cd creator with an olllldd version is installed. like something before version 5.02d. if thats the case just remove or update the program. all of this is strange anyways...because you said it worked before correct? well anyways....

if the program thing is not the culprit, then what we'll need to is edit the registry.

1st off...I WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR A SCREWED UP REGISTRY JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDNT WANT TO BACK IT UP FIRST BEFORE YOU START EDITING.

if you simply dont care well then lets begin....OOH YEA BY THE WAY...the cd autorun also wont work if your not logged in under admin or power users group.

so on to the registry editing...

a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. Type regedit, and then click OK.
c. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
d. Do one of the following:
• If the value for Autorun is 1, go to step 3-e.
• If the value for Autorun is 0, right-click Autorun, and then click Modify. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

e. Locate and then click the following subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
f. Look at the value of the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry. A value of 0xb5 turns off the AutoRun feature for CD-ROMs. To turn on the AutoRun feature, right-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, click Modify, type 91 in the Value data box, select Hexadecimal, and then click OK.
g. Quit Registry Editor.

ALSSOOO....IF THAT DIDNT WORK.....

Verify that the Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged on user only option is not turned on.
a. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
c. In the right pane, under Data, if the value for allocatecdroms is 0, go to step 5.
d. In the right pane, under Data, if the value for allocatecdroms is 1, right-click allocatecdroms, and then click Modify.
e. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
f. Quit Registry Editor.

If AutoRun is turned on in the registry, make sure that your CD-ROM driver is current:
a. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
b. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
c. In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, and then right-click the CD-ROM drive that you want to update. Click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen to install the latest driver for your CD-ROM drive.

Test to determine whether the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining step. If the issue is not resolved, go to step 6.

Before you go editing your registry, just go into MY COMPUTER and RIGHT CLICK the drive and choose PROPERTIES. Then go to the AUTOPLAY tab and enable it. Now Autoplay will work when you put a CD/DVD in.

hes tried that already....he wants to make it his default option....some reason why its not sticking when he/she goes into my computer and enables it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom