Seeking Opinion and Some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns90

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, this is my first post in here. I am about to build a PC for the first time. (I have replaced almost all of the components in my currant PC, so I have a little knowledge.) The new computer will be primarily used for the web and school work. (My use of Linux prevents any serious gaming. ;))

I am using Ubuntu Linux 6.06 on my 32 bit PC and will be installing Ubuntu Linux 64 6.06 on the new 64 bit unit. I am trying to keep the cost under $1,000.00, and I think I have compiled a desent set of components that I will be ordering through Newegg. I'm going to list what I am looking at and would appreciate it if you would advise me on any potential problems with components or compatability that I may not be aware of.

Case - CoolerMaster Centurion 534
PSU - Enermax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 ATX 350W
Opti drive - (2) Samsung 18X DVD Burner Model SH182M/BEN
HDD - Western Digital Cavair SE WD2500JS 250 GB 7200 rpm SATA
Card reader - Sabrent CRW-UINB 52-in-1
MoBo - ASUS A8n-VM CSM Socket 939
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz Socket 939
Video - 3D Fuzion GeForce 7600GS
RAM - Kingston HyperX 1Gb (2 x 512)
Inputs - Microsoft natural keyboard and optical mouse
Monitor - Viewsonic VA 712B Black 17" 8ms LCD

Also, I have never had two PC's before, so I have no idea of how to get them both on the Internet. I currantly have DSL connected with SBC's modem. Is there anything else I need to get them both to work besides a router? Do I need them to be connected/linked (LAN)? However it should be hooked up, I want the primary DSL connection to be on my 32 bit PC. Oh, and does anyone have any problems with the ZyXel X-550 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE802.11b/g Xtrene MIMO Wireless Broardband router?

I sure would appreciate any feedback. Thanks. Gary

I think you're setup looks fine for what you're going to be doing with it. Also, if you're going to hook them both up through your DSL connection, all you need is a router, just hook up the router to the main computer, Then run a line from the router to the second computer and install the DSL software on your second computer.

install the DSL software on your second computer

There isn't any software needed to use DSL. Just hook it into your LAN port.

Your router may require a BIOS update. Be sure to find the support line number for it before you begin setting it up. I use Linksys, and they are awesome with their phone support.

Well, I meant the disk they give you with the service. I had to install drivers for Verizon before it would work. They gave us a disk and we had to use it on both computers before it would work.

Your router may require a BIOS update. Be sure to find the support line number for it before you begin setting it up. I use Linksys, and they are awesome with their phone support.

I second that, I called them the day after Thanksgiving after my wife bought a laptop, considering that my product (router) costed only $50 and I'm sure they were really busy, I was helped within 5 minutes.

Thanks guys. Good stuff to know.

I'm wanting the second computer to access the internet without using a wire connection because the second computer will be used in differant bedrooms occasionally. I guess what I still don't understand is...if the router is connected to the first compter, do I have to purchase a card (or something) for the second computer or does everything I need come with the router. Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom