SLI/Crossfire: The cold hard truth

Which case is the best all around case?

• Cooler Master Centurion 5 case w/ window.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NZXT Trinity case.

• Antec super lanboy

• My case is better

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hbbk131 said:
I would like to say first that was one heck of an opener and a very well organized and put together post. Props to you sir.

Now I show my ignorance . I was under the impression that SLI and Xfire were more intended for multiple monitor setups, which would help distribute the work load in a better way...am I wrong?

-HBBK131

Well no it doens't really do much for multiple monitors. It does even the work load though. But you arent going to see a 100% increase in performance.

lancec2c30 said:
Well no it doens't really do much for multiple monitors. It does even the work load though. But you arent going to see a 100% increase in performance.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up.

-HBBK131 :D

ok so i am thinkin about upgrading my computer here real soon and I was thinking about gettin crossfire and having 2 x1900GTs would it be worth it to make the upgrade? I am been reading on here and at 1st everyone was against SLI/xfire now it sounds like it isnt such a bad think. I am also planing on a new monitor a 20 in with 1600x12sumthin i think it was, so with xfire i would see a bigger increase if I had Xfire rather than just one card? I took it that on lower resolutions it dosn't really make a diff but on high res is where i really shines?

This is a topic that truly earned a sticky! SLi and Crossfire sucks unless you have 2 monitors for each video card. I mean who would pay an extra like $200 for another video card for less performance?

ok so i decided not to SLi the video card i'm planning to get, but my question should i volt mod it? and how do i do it?

This document will be revised within the next several days to reflect several changes with the technologies over the past year. These revisions are as follows:

Re-evaluation of new game engines, including:
-Source Engine - Half Life 2: Episode 1
-Jupiter Extended Engine - F.E.A.R
-Modified Gamebryo Engine - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Future additions as they become availible:
-Source Engine Version 2 - Half life 2: Episode 3(?)
-CryEngine2 - Crysis
-Unreal v3.0 - Unreal Tournament 2007

Considerations of updated tech design:
-Comparison of x1900XTX/7900GTX
-Update to reflect current hardware, specifically chipset revision
-Software/Driver Updates
-Consideration of newly emerging tech including dual PCB design, dual GPU design, and "quad" SLI and beyond
-Comparison of r600/G80 when availible
-Updated power consumption requirements

Price vs. Performance Comparison:
-Entry Level GPUs
-Middle Ground GPUs
-Industry Leading GPUs

Summary of revisions make to SLI/Crossfire tech over time

FAQ including several unanswered questions within this topic

Introduction to, and later, explanation of, emerging gaming technologies including:
-New Rendering Paths (IE DX10, Shader Model 4)
-Simultaneous Multithreaded Processes
-64 Bit Applications(?)
-Dedicated Physics Processing Applications

Explanation of current rendering technologies:
-Monitor Resolution
-DirectX 9.0c + OpenGL 2.0
-AA + AF
-HDR

Please inform me of any other revisions you need over THIS revision, and I will try to include them. The older document will be archived and replaced by any revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom