Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
The specs are on that page also.

From the looks of it, it has 3 x +12v rails running at 15A, 15A, and 8A. Combined, that makes 38A, only 2A more than the Forton. It provides about twice the Forton's Amps on the +3.3v rail, and about 6A more on the +5v rail, but those don't matter nearly as much as the +12v rails.

The other two rails are what are pushing the total wattage of the PSU up, hiding the relative inadequacies of the +12v ones. The specs speak for themselves.

heh heh.....hahaha i gotta better psu than tri's beloved fortron!muahaha and i kno watchu gonna say next oooo nooo daaaat means its overkill...lol....

No, I'm going to say that you wasted a ton of money on a PSU that's barely (~25W) better than the one that costs a lot less. Good job.

Need proof that the +12v rails are the most important? Besides various articles out there, here's what Wiki has to say about it;

Originally posted by Wikipedia
+12V: In modern PSUs, the most important voltage rail is the +12V rail which supplies power to components that draw the most amount of current. These are usually the cpu, hard drives or other storage peripherals, cooling devices, and video cards. Current fluctuations will usually cause malfunction, hence the importance of a good +12V rail.

Your PSU is an excellent example of why measuring PSUs by wattage is a bad idea. Your 680W PSU is almost the same as the 400W Forton. If Thermaltake wasn't marketing out of it's a$$, your PSU would've been labeled a 425W PSU.

TriEclipse said:
That's because of the ATX2.0 standards. Intel set new standards that said that each +12v rail shouldn't have more than 18A each because any more would cause instability and deliver "dirty" power. This led to the rise of the Dual, and Triple, and now Quad +12v rails.

So is PC and Power Cooling, an excellent power supply company, rebels?

They have a 750 PSU with one rail, and I believe it has 54 Amps on it.

Thats awesome! :D

Lord AnthraX said:
So is PC and Power Cooling, an excellent power supply company, rebels?

They have a 750 PSU with one rail, and I believe it has 54 Amps on it.

Thats awesome! :D

Ho-ly Cr-ap! One rail has 60A on it!

Maybe that was made before the ATX 2.0 standards were in place. If you filter Newegg results for 500W+ PSUs that do not have more than one +12v rail, you will find a lot of them that go way over the present 18A industry limit.

Although 60A is pretty ridiculous. I guess that was the only way for them to get 750W.

Compare it to the 700W OCZ GameXStream which has 4 x +12v rails running at 18A each.

Then you go do whatever you want. But for the newcomers to this forum; Tell them what I've told you in this thread. You have no right to lie to them and waste their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom