Cannot Install Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnms238

Solid State Member
I recently loaded Windows Vista RC1 onto my machine because I thought it would be nice to see what the new OS was like. After about a week, I came to the conclusion that I hated it, and resolved to move back to XP Home. So, I pulled my hard drive out, plugged it into another machine available to me (I do not trust Vista's backup program; it doesn't use BKF files). After backing up the drive, I plugged it into my machine and booted off of the Windows XP Home CD.

I have run the install multiple times and been unable to complete it. At some point during the process, the installation freezes, but it happens at a different point each time. Sometimes it will freeze during formatting the disk, sometimes during the initial file copy, and sometimes during the GUI portion of setup. Also, I will sometimes boot up to be greeted with a hard disk read error. I have removed the hard drive and run chkdsk on it, which reported it as having no errors.

If it helps, I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, and a Western Digital Caviar SE16, 250GB. I have no idea where to go from here, and would greatly appreciate any help.

you should hook it back up to the other machine and format it form there and then put it back in ur machine and try the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom