Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord AnthraX said:
I needed it because I will be powering 5 hard drives, and a Geforce 8 Card soon. Add a dual core CPU and, 2 RW drives and it's time to kiss my antec truepower 550 2.0 goodbye.

The whole point of this thread was to show you that you don't have to kiss your Antec truepower goodbye.

In the very first post, I said that a system with a Quad Core Kentsfield, 2GB RAM, a 150GB WD Raptor, and a 8800GTX consumed a total power of 273W at maximum load. Hard Drives use ~10W each, but you can take 20W off for the Dual Core CPU compared to the Kentsfield. You still only end up around 300W of power consumption.

The Antec Truepower 550W has 2 x +12v rails with 19Amps on each of them. That means that 450W is going to your major components (CPU, Drives, Memory, etc).

Your power supply, with your new system, would be running at 66% output at that maximum load possible. Do you honestly think that you need to upgrade with a PSU that's running at 66%? And how often do you keep your system on max load anyway? Like 10% of the time? The rest, your system's probably using like 150W or something.

arbol99 said:
newegg is great with selection but im surpriced no one compares tigerdirect....ive found some good deals every now and then and you get emails of free memory and routers all the time if you buy something from there.

Because their interface is painfully bad. And they don't have nearly as much variety as Newegg does.

As for their deals, they're mostly mail-in rebates, and mail-in rebates with TigerDirect are a ride through h3ll.

Well I get your point. To tell you the truth I didn't know that before I bought the OCZ 700W, but I'm out of refund period now so that's just the way it goes. That's what makes this a hobby though. People are going to buy different products even though they might not serve the best price/performance ratio. I'm sure my PSU is overkill, but I jumped for the first thing that had nothing but 5-star reviews for reliability. So as long as it powers up and runs smooth, I think it's safe to say it's money well spent.

I know you didn't know that, neither did anyone else on here, probably. And I'm not asking you to return or refund anything. Only to not spend $160 on a 700W PSU when a $50 400W PSU will do the same thing, and is more reliable.

Actually, I don't really care what you do. Its your money, and your own business. Just don't lie to other people and make them think that they need to spend $160 on a PSU.

$50 would have been money well-spent as well. :rolleyes:

I agree with TriEclipse, 700 watt and above psu's are unnecessary. However, that being said, PSU's like the fortron are few and far between, most 500 watt and below psu's have stupidly low amperage on the 12v rails...even the ones that cost 70 or 80 dollars. This is of course excluding companies such as PC/Power/Cooling, and antec. Both whom ive had great experiences with.

Id say its useless to even think about wattage. Most companies have the habit of lying anyways. I had a 420 watt aspire psu that didnt have enough juice to supply:
Athlon 3700+
1x IDE 80 Gig HDD
1x CD-ROM
x1600pro 512

It was just pathetic, now my Antec Truepower 550 SLI is more then enough juice to supply any video card on the market.

Just compare PC Power & Cooling PSU's amperage to other manufacturers with the same wattage claims.

okay cool.
i had another post asking if my psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159054
would handle a 7950gx2.
well, alrighty.
tri-e your post was helpful, for instance (call me a retard or whatever)...
i was looking on the evga website and it recommends 28amps for gx2...
so, i'm like...jesus, none of the power supplies i had ever researched had 28a on a 12vrail.
duh, you add them together.
so my little coolmax with its 34a will be just fine.
thanks man, for making me realize i'm still dumb sometimes!
great post!

Thanks for the info. I thought my old PSU was failing and causing some issues I was having. I went for the Hiper 580W so I could also use it in my future system I'm getting after Christmas.

It turned out my problem was the videocard, but I still planned to keep the PSU for my new build. After reading people saying that 700W would be needed for new systems, I considered RMA. Now that I know the Hiper will be sufficient, I'll save the return shipping

fade2black2004 said:
^i trust my antec more then any psu for thats going for 50 bucks

Then you haven't learned anything from this thread and you're as much of as fool as you were before this was posted.

Anyway, glad to see this thread is helping people. Yeah, Antec and Hiper and even the Coolmax are great PSU makers and you pretty much can't go wrong with them.

I agree that PSUs like the Forton aren't too common, although there is more variety in the $50-$100 range. Still, I unknowingly bought one of the best PSUs (the Forton) last year and was worried that it wouldn't power the system that I put it in, lol. I was pretty pleased when I found out that it could run a top-of-the-line system today, a year later.

Overclocking will not have that much of a difference. Atleast not to suffice going form a 550 Watt Antec TPII to a OCZ 700Watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom