garbled registry entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tst

Beta member
hi everyone. i really could use your help. i am using an HP pavilion n3310 notebook running windows XP. i have lost my desktop/taskbar/startmenu along with "user accounts" control panel, device manager & system information, help, along with all windows media player & all real player functionality (although my 1x1 player and winamp plays music) and video capabilities across the board. i went looking around in my registry and i found the following garbled entry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\櫈"Ā ࣨ俠⃐㫪ၩ�〫鴰䌯尺_auto_file]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\櫈"Ā ࣨ俠⃐㫪ၩ�〫鴰䌯尺_auto_file\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\櫈"Ā ࣨ俠⃐㫪ၩ�〫鴰䌯尺_auto_file\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\櫈"Ā ࣨ俠⃐㫪ၩ�〫鴰䌯尺_auto_file\shell\open\command]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00, 25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,64,00, \
62,00,69,00,6e,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31, \
------------------
could someone tell me what the entry should be, as i am sure this cannot be correct and is at least part of my problem. thxs tst :-(

Dude your registry is totally hosed.

You need to use the system restore feature in XP and restore your registry to a date prior to when your snafu occurred.

How did this happen? Did you install something? Did you get a virus? Were you playing around in the registry and make a mistake?

****didnt fully read the first part, so i take back what i said*****

my suggestion is to remove those registries to another location. If your computer gets messed up, put it back in. If it works fine, leave it out

oblivion said:
yea...how come people only mention system restore when its probably gonna be useless. Chances are, thats been there for a loong time. So doing a system restore to a random prior date would be more damaging then good

my suggestion is to remove those registries to another location. If your computer gets messed up, put it back in. If it works fine, leave it out

Some registry keys can be deleted if the application has been uninstalled or if they are pointing to an empty entry. Oblvion if you are trying to help this poor chap who obviously has a corrupt registry, then you're doing more harm than good by giving out such advice.

For tst, his registry is beyond manual repair - that's why both MicroBell and I have recommending using system restore. Whether you think restoring it to a prior date will work or not is your speculation only. Yes, I have heard of certain situations where XP's system restore did not cure the person's problem 100%.

However, in this case, there are few options left for tst. And deleting the keys shown are NOT going to solve his problem

My suggestion to you is to learn a bit more about computers and/or registry and learn what keys can or cannot be removed before you start posting that sort of crap.

lone......u freakin kidding me? If u disagree, just say it. You dont have to flame. The only thing u can possibly yell at me is probably not reading the whole post xD.

I was too busy looking at the latter half of his post. I was just saying that the reg key probably wasnt causing any problem. Just leftover crap from a virus most likely. Anyways, the values under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT are just stuff from softwares....so temporarily removing them wouldnt cause much harm.

Anyways, after reading over the first part of the post again, I would also say yes to the system restore.

One question for tst, what data valuse did those reg keys have anyways?? Im curious on what program would be linked to the jumbled key.

oblivion said:
lone......u freakin kidding me? If u disagree, just say it. You dont have to flame. The only thing u can possibly yell at me is probably not reading the whole post xD.

I was too busy looking at the latter half of his post. I was just saying that the reg key probably wasnt causing any problem. ...

If you think that was a flame, you've got some thin skin.

And yes I was a bit angry with your answer. If you're not going to bother reading the entire post, why would you bother to answer? Careless and flippant responses like that only tend to harm the original poster's problem rather than solving it.

Your attitude to this entire thread was that of carelessness to start with. It was apparent in the tone of your posting by crapping at my (and MicroBell's) suggestion of using system restore. Now that you've so called read "the entire posting" - it's amazing how you've come to the same conclusion.

man....can someone say waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah? If your gonna complain some more....have the decency to PM me

Not to go back on topic here, but this is what the registry entry is saying. The Hex code is actually %SystemRoot%\system32\sdbinst.exe "%1"

First thing you guys need to know is that this is a classes_root key. Classes Root keys are only used for File association. This specific one is calling a Microsoft .exe for what ever file it is opening. You can delete it without causing problems. But I would suggest takeing a look at the date modified and the version info of the file listed above. I have a good version and it is listed as last modified 8-19-2002. Also the version info is 5.1.2600.1106.
Take a look and see what you have. The keys will not harm anything to be removed though. Also, I doubt this is going to be a fix for your problem though.
I would suggest the following.

If you are logging on as a something other then the default admin account, log on as an admin. Delete the profile data from the effected account/s and see if the problem is resolved. If it's not, then you need to see about restoring the registry data that is kept on the system. you need to boot the system using a WinPE disc/ or equivalant and over write the current default user hive with the one called default.sav in %systemroot%\system32\config All you have to do is change the default file to default.bak and then remove the .sav from default.sav. That will give you a new default profile. Also that will cause the system to restore any problems that were created due some other issues.

Hope that helps a bit...

Inaris said:
Not to go back on topic here, but this is what the registry entry is saying. The Hex code is actually %SystemRoot%\system32\sdbinst.exe "%1"

First thing you guys need to know is that this is a classes_root key. Classes Root keys are only used for File association. ...

The problem with removing keys under the classes_root is you have to know which ones to delete. Depending on the program, the installer can make entries in several different subkeys and it’s not obvious which ones get modified unless you are the actual programmer. Yes you are correct in saying that it’s primarily used for file associations, however one should note that it’s not just for 3rd party software applications. MS also uses this virtual key for its own internal applications and there is a ploethera of CLSID subkeys used for OLE and ActiveX files. You cannot begin to imagine how many subkeys are tied into this. I don’t care whether you’re talking about deleting the entire classes_root or one specific key – it’s best to just leave the damn thing alone.

And as we all agree (except for Oblivion) deleting the key is not going to solve the poster’s problem. So let’s put this foolish talk about deleting the classes_root key to bed – I’m sick of hearing this talk about whether it’s safe to delete it or not. If you think it’s safe, do it and then come back and tell me sort of problems you encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom