revising XP system32 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx12345

Solid State Member
Hi

Mama and Papa XP made it very difficult (it seems) to make revisions to system files. The one I am focused on is shdoclc.dll. I am one of those people who does not like flash embedded ads. There are a few ways to deal with it, but i prefer disabling Active-X.

However Microsoft always annoys those who don't wnt to look at ads in their browsers by constantly popping up a messge that says:

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"

It is like "Helllooo I know that, this is why I turned them off. Do you really have to remind me evry single time???"

So instead of having an option that says "Disable eternal warning pop up" you have to get inside shdoclc.dll, remove the offending line, to make the pop up message go away.

But there is a catch. It is a 'system' file (let us all take a moment to worship the 'system' file!)

Short of doing a convoluded dance by restartig in DOS to overwrite the old file with the revised one, is ther some way to put this on the fast track?

thanks!

tx

http://members.aol.com/ojatex/shdoclc.htm

Make sure Internet Explorer is not open. From the Start Menu, select "Run" and type in "SFC" [no quotes].
In the SFC dialogue box, select "Extract one file from installation disk"; type in "shdoclc.dll" [no quotes].
Fill-in [browse to] the paths to your altered "shdoclc.dll" file and Windows/System folder respectively.
Select yes when asked to save [i.e.backup] the original "shdoclc.dll" file to the "Windows/Helpdesk/sfc" folder.
Reboot, then open IE5, Help/About Internet Explorer to see that the screen is now wider and all the patch numbers are visible.

Hi

thanks for the tip. i tried it, but after entering SFC in the run section, then clicking OK, there is a flash on the screen, and then nothing.

i went to the command prompt and ran sfc.exe and this is what i got:

(there is an image below if your pics are turned off)

sys.jpg

As you can see there is no selection for extracting one file. the only options i see are:

/scannow
/scanonce
/scanboot
/revert
/purgecache
/cachesize=x

any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

thanks

tx

http://www.webservertalk.com/message36585.html

Matthew Mucker

Windows File Protection will replace your edited version with the OS
version. So you won't be accomplishing anything doing this anyway.

There's a mechanism to copy files at boot time built in to the operating
system, so you don't need a batch file. MoveFileEx() has a flag to wait
until reboot to copy the file (MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT). If you weren't
replacing an operating system file, this would work. However, you want to
replace an operating system file, which will cause Windows File Protection
to immediately overwrite your edited file with the OS version of the file.

Replacing operating system files is a bad idea and Microsoft is working hard
to ensure that you can't do this. Replacing operating system files breaks
things. (Like other peoples' applications.)

office politics said:

and how does that help me? who says MS has perfect sware? sometimes it needs to be changed so the user can have a better browsing exp, etc.

i want active-x removed and i dont want the warning messge. so what is the big deal? MS should have an option that says "and no warning message either" but they don't, probbaly to annoy people who want to get rid of the flash ads embeddd in web sites. no pics, no flash, no ads.

that is the point. some of these ads are javascript that download movies.

anyway, your post is of no help at all. there is a work around, but i don't want to have to boot in DOS to replace the file.

tx12345 said:
there is a work around, but i don't want to have to boot in DOS to replace the file.

The next time you boot to windows, your modified file will be replaced by windows file protection. I assume its there to protect your system against malicious attacks.

office politics said:
The next time you boot to windows, your modified file will be replaced by windows file protection. I assume its there to protect your system against malicious attacks.

not exactly

anyway, if anyone *else* knows how to do this i'd appreciate the input

the point of this is to be able to get rid of flash in IE without being notified about it being disabled every time a web p[age shows up that has flash (like nearly every one these days)

from another thread

the only way to get rid of annoying flash (which by now is ubiquitous) is to cut off Active-X in IE OR just uninstall it altogether. however, even if it is uninstalled, you get a pop up that says do you want to install, etc, and if you disable that pop up (using IE controls) then you get a constant reminder that active x is disabled, etc. what a pain, right?

with firefox they have a plug in which surpresses the flash. it is really great. unfortunately my application requires IE and to get around that will take forever.

i have scoured the net looking for a solution to get rid of flash via a plug in, but nothing yet. the only other solution is to hack into a dll file to get rid of the active x warning window, but since it is one of those system files it cannot be modified unless you restart in DOS, which is not only impractical but draconian

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom