XMS2 or Dominator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Hi, I recently sold a Nintendo Wii on ebay for my parents and made them a good bit of money. I let them have all of that money so they could just get me some nice RAM for christmas.

I was thinking of 2GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400 Corsair XMS2. It costs $300:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

But, while trying to print the link for my parents, I came across this. CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $315

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145168

Is the dominator ram any better? The one thing I notice is the much bigger heat sinks. Will this help out alot more with cooling? If it does, I think it justifies the $15 price difference. Thanks.

that IS the only difference lol. only get the dominators if u plan on OCing them until theyre on the brink of catching on fire. or if u want to get the domintor fan for 30 bucks. but ram heat still isnt that much of a problem.

appears to be the same thing with different heat sinks... prodcut names are the same ( TWIN2X2048-6400C4 vs. TWIN2X2048-6400C4D), and timings are the same as well...

Yeah, they're the same thing, just different heatsinks. As far as I know, both of them use Micron D9 chips, so they overclock the same too.

G.Skill 2GB DDR2-800 HZs are better than the XMS, but they're out of stock. Those overclock better, and are more stable. Not saying the XMS is bad in any way, the G.Skill HZs and the XMS are both overclocking favorites. The G.Skill's just known to overclock farther (DDR2-1066 isn't uncommon).

TriEclipse said:
Yeah, they're the same thing, just different heatsinks. As far as I know, both of them use Micron D9 chips, so they overclock the same too.

G.Skill 2GB DDR2-800 HZs are better than the XMS, but they're out of stock. Those overclock better, and are more stable. Not saying the XMS is bad in any way, the G.Skill HZs and the XMS are both overclocking favorites. The G.Skill's just known to overclock farther (DDR2-1066 isn't uncommon).

agreed:) ...but too bad my e6600 won't boot into windows with 9x401 fsb at 1.45vcore, then i could start to use the d9 chips...they're just yawning right now :p .

But i did get them for $260 like 2 months ago...the ddr2 ram price is really jumping up there. Probably the only bad thing about the conroes coming out;)

darkop16 said:
The ddr2 ram price is really jumping up there. Probably the only bad thing about the conroes coming out;)

I know! The memory market's in such bad shape right now! Memory prices went like $50 higher for everything as soon as the C2Ds came out. Its like this one person that I was designing a PC for said, "Its a sad day when your memory costs more than your processor and motherboard combined."

I remember when you could buy the DDR600 2GB G.Skill HZs for $150...those were the days.

Did DDR2 800 prices go up because since people all wanted C2D, the demand went up for that memory?

By the way I told my dad that I wanted the Dominator one, we'll see how it does. I know a good friend that also uses XMS2 DDR2 800, but without Dominator heatsinks. He OCs his quite a bit if I remember, and it gives no problems.

That's probably the reason for the memory price hike. Though, all I know is that we're now paying 1.5x what we were paying a year ago.

And do you like wasting money unnecessarily? We told you they were the exact same thing. Heatspreaders are quite pointless, even on high-end memory. And those are the only thing that the Dominators have over the regular XMS2.

Sorry? So I wasted 1% of a $1500+ build. Chill bro, it's not the same as me trying to go quad-sli or buying DDR2 1111 RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom