Random Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I have the same problem. My computer just shot down randomly. The power suply unit i usung is almost 2 years with me, and everything was alright. But few weeks ago my 10 Gb hard disk burned (it was even smoke going out from the disk's case!!!). Sinse this moment I gone from Win2k to Win98SE, and now I have only 600 Mb hard drive (now it is only 10 Mb free).

So the comp sometimes shuts down. Sometimes it happen when I ran many programs at the same time, sometime I leave comp on and go to do something and when I return I see him already off. sometimes before turn off i see blue error screen, telling me aboun some kind of VXD error.

I also have health monitor that always running backgound. It displays all voltages and they are ok (sometimes they may jump to 0.5 volt higher then normal).

So, have you any idea of the reason of it, maby small hard disk, small amount of free space, virus, or anytging else.....

first off, only 10Mb free is a big problem. you're gonna run out of VM. also, give a little more detail on the 'smoke' thing. and try to get the details of the VxD error. could also be controller problem, depending on what caused the drive to crash and burn. maybe bad IDE controller on the MBD. Also, what all have you replaced on it.

Ok. First of all my original system specs: P3 550Mhz (100*5.5), 256Mb of RAM, 600Mb hard disk, Nvidia Vanta 32Mb video card, Creative Vibra 128 sound blaster, 2 onboard USB + 2 PCI card USB, 3 CD drives: LG 52x, LG burner 52x32x52, unknown company 56x.

About a 2 weeks before my 10GB hard drive burned out, I overcklocked my CPU's FSB to 112, so I got 616Mhz CPU(112*5.5). The temp jumped to 37 C. I organized the wires and added two more fans, and I till now have 28-30 C. So' everything was great till the hard disk gone. When he burned, my comp's case was opend' so I saw what happend there: it was little flash of light on the down side of disk, and then smoke started to go out of the disk's case.

This disk also was pretty old, about at least 3-4 years.
Maby it will help you.

Thanks.
-AndreiD

Sometimes, the sys monitor that came with my mobo (I told about it in previous replies), tells me about abnormal voltages. But on my opinion they are still almost normal.

Below, I attach a screenshot with the worst report thar sys.monitor had ever rported.

Attachments

• abnormal.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
I wouldnt say PS right away,, been there,, exact issue,, changed out the PS and nothing changed,, after shut off,, need to turn PS off,, then unplug,, then plug in ,, then PS on,, then reboot,,

turns out it was some capacitor on the board that was shorting out,, and would not reboot until IT dropped the charge,,

so,, check out your MOBO too,,, any lightning storms at the time the problem started???

cheers

No storms.

I also have no Idea how to check my mobo.(any suggestions?)

BTW, here is screenshot of my regular system volts (non-abnormal):

Attachments

• normal.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4
well, you'd need the spec print of the mbd, a VOhm meter, and know exactly which points to check for resistance and capacitance. Essentially, a big pain, but if you know what your doing and have the mbd schematics you COULD find the culprit. Then desolder/resolder the piece back on. Usually you start wide (i/o from one point to the other) see if its within norm and if not you narrow down till you find the fault Thats a VERY general description.

I don't think I could do that.
First, it will take a LOOOOOT of time and it is really complicated to check every transistor of hundreds that mobo has.
Second, the only documentation I got with my mobo is small book which explains you how to configure BIOS and jumper settings.

Maby it is any software program or something that can check it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom