Gateway Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link68759

Baseband Member
My friend was trying to install RAM into someones computer and now whenever we turn it on we get three long beeps (each beep 1 second at least). All I know about it is it's a Gateway, has an intel pentium 4 processor, was designed for WinXP and originally had 512 MB of RAM (2 256 MB 133Mhz Crucial Technology, Division of Micron). Seagate 20 gb internal hard drive. I tried everything; switching RAM slots every way (3 RAM slots on board), disconnecting all removable storage devices (CD, floppy + drive), removed video card, ethernet card, etc. I tried resetting the BIOS... which did nothing. Nothing is shown on screen, just the moniter error no computer is connected. The only time the beeps don't sound is when the motherboard is not powered (no ****). I looked at the BIOS error codes for gateways, and it says 3 long beeps is a keyboard error, although I doubt that.

Help please.

have you tried different keyboard? maybe it really is the keyboard sometimes a keyboard will have a stuck key and cause the computer to beep(most likely not) but it may alson be the video card (if it has one) If it does, make sure its in the slot right and is conected to power if it requires it.

Try all combinations of the RAM ins the slots, some motherboards are picky about which slots go where. Other than that, it looks as if your motherboard is goosed.

Ruan

EDIT: If you have another Video Card then try it becuase that could cause the problem.

I took the RAM (a 128 stick) out of my ThinkPad A21P laptop and didn't put it in all the way...when I turned it on it beeped and the screen did not come on. I then had to remove and reseat the RAM in the slot better, and the PC booted right up :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom