Nvidia Taking Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still very confused about the whole "more cores" idea.

Its like eating a regular peanut butter sandwhich whole, then eating another split in half... whats the benefit from that? :/

alexsabree said:

Its like eating a regular peanut butter sandwhich whole, then eating another split in half... whats the benefit from that? :/

Well once more programs are written to properly utilize 2 or more cores, it'll increase the speed of that program exponentially (especially with the quad cores). This will be especially handy for people who work with audio/video/graphics. Or if you're just a really big multitasker you could be rendering an image/scene in a 3d creation program, encoding a video, [insert a CPU heavy program here], and playing a video game all at the same time with little to no performance loss on either of the programs.

Or you can look at it in terms of an engine, if you have a 4 cylinder and a V8 engine, the performance possibility is much greater with the V8 because you have more to work with.

Also to clear up any confusion you still might have, if you were to look at a dual core chip, each of the cores themselves are fast, so you're putting 2 fast chips together. The performance isnt cut in half for each core when made into a dual core. Not sure if this is what you thought, but just decided to throw that out there in case it was.

alexsabree said:

Are you referring to 4x4 vs. a true Quad Core?

In the end, there's no difference. But there is such a think as a company not making itself look absolutely retarded. Yeah, 4x4 and a QX6700 both give you 4 cores in a system, but AMD making you spend twice the money on processors, and suffer twice the power consumption, and just taking the easy way out by putting two sockets on the motherboard is considered REALLY bad form. Even AMD fanboys criticize AMD for making that move, it just makes them look really bad in the actually informed techies' minds.

And when you consider that each FX-7x processor eats 125W, so the two needed in a 4x4 system take in 250W, compared to the QX6700 which consumes 85W for all 4 cores, and the 4x4 system STILL doesn't beat the QX6700, who wouldn't make fun of that?!

I still dont see the advantege... all i see are disadvantedges

More heat
More money

Is it easyer to manufacture them when they have more cores, err something?

alexsabree said:
I still dont see the advantege... all i see are disadvantedges

More heat
More money

Is it easyer to manufacture them when they have more cores, err something?

How do you not see the advantages? I have them listed up there in my previous post. MORE CORES EQUALS MORE PERFORMANCE.

Alexsabree, I thought you were talking about the difference between 4x4 and Kentsfield. But it seems that you're confused on just the advantages of a Quad Core. For that, read KingAustin's post above, he did a good job of explaining that.

The purpose of a Quad Core is the same as that of a Dual Core, just on a larger scale. Think about why you buy a Dual Core, and if that's not enough power for you, then buy a Quad Core.

This post is supposed to be about video cards guys...

One quick thought about the peanut butter :). It's not like having a sandwich cut in half, it's like having 2 or 4 full sandwiches. Each core in the Kentsfield is a full grown processor and would be able to run the computer by itself if you took the other 3 cores out! Assuming that we went back to the days of single cores.

Now back to the nVidia vs. ATI fanboy post. NOTHING is absolutely confirmed for the R600s as I don't see ANYONE with one in their hands as I speak. Until someone has a fully developed card in their hand we don't know anything. So don't give me any of this it WILL have this and WON'T have this bull$h*t. The only one with some common sense on here right now is TriEclipse as he isn't giving any definite answers. And that's the way it should be as there is nothing DEFINITE!

ok now go on fighting...

cvb724 said:
Now back to the nVidia vs. ATI fanboy post. NOTHING is absolutely confirmed for the R600s as I don't see ANYONE with one in their hands as I speak. Until someone has a fully developed card in their hand we don't know anything. So don't give me any of this it WILL have this and WON'T have this bull$h*t.

Word...

I forgot we were talking about videocards. :eek:

its true look at the g80 they were suposed to have samsung gddr4 but like 2 weeks before release they took them off i think it was becauseof heat issues and not wanting to have a heatsink that required qater coooling on a stock card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom