Ram Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok what is the difference between ram with 16 chips (8 on each side) and ram with 8 chips (all on one side)? Also will there be a performance decrease between ram running at 3-4-4-8 instead of 3-3-3-8?

dual sided ram just have higher density chips on them. the performance stays the same when the size of memory is the same. double sided is used mostly now. its also better for using ram heat spreaders.

yes there will be a performance difference IF the ram speeds r the same obviously. u wont really get an fps boost in any game tho. maybe a few more points in 3d mark, super pi a bit faster and programs may load .2 of a second faster lol

Lo density and high density chips can both be either single or dual sided. And are not compatible...
as far as the performance delta between the ram latency timings, only a benchmark will reveal it. In other words, if a stick will run at higher fsb using looser (higher numerical) timings, the fsb will yield more benefit. Cas2-2-2 stuff is "mostly" braggin' rights imo. SOME motherboards are finicky though, requiring the high octane stuff.

ok kraze pretty much just said the same thing as me except for the first part. ur completely right pepsi, single and dual can run together. i have a p3 setup doing that right now. as i said before, its just the chips density that differs. nothing else.

No, what I meant was lo and hi density do not play well together...nor does a board requiring lo density (usually the older ) will not work at all with hi density. Both lo and high density come dual sided, and single sided. Single or double sided has little relevance to density, ALTHOUGH double sided is somewhat more likely to be lo density.

No mention in my post re: single or dual sided NOT working together, provided the densities are correct. I have pair of single sided 256 mb HyperX with dual sided 512 in dualchannel right now. All 3 are lo density. Lo density chips are often considerably more expensive than hi density stuff.

And if one stick is spec'd at cas 3, the other at faster cas2, both will default to cas3. You can try manuially overiding that in bios with appropriate choices(usually avoid spd or auto, choosing "user defined instead), and it works sometimes, esp w high erformance quality ram, although the difference will not be perceivable except by benchmark, and even then only marginal. But you know us clockers, we'll go for every fraction improvemet!

Sorry about that krazefinn and yeah I know what you mean with overclocking, the only thing right now thats good at overclocking is the video card. Otherwise, this thing just wasnt setup for it.

NP pepsiboy, just illustrates the matching of ram takes more into account than just single/double sided. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom