Buying a Computer to Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notes:
-I don't do gaming or music.
-I have Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS2.
-I want to be able to run the new MS Vista comfortably.

Since my needs are limited do I really need 2 GB vs. just 1 GB?
Thanks

Because of Photoshop and Illustrator CS2, you'll need a decent graphics card...

And since you want to run Vista comfortably (I'm assuming in Aero interface), that's an even better reason to get a decent graphics card... Maybe something like a GeForce 6600, since you said you wouldn't be doing any gaming. I think you'd be okay with 1GB of RAM.

Is your CURRENT PC good for what you need it for, or are you having performance issues?

With what you have mentioned, you could likely get by with a CPU upgrade and video card upgrade.... And it would be best to wait until the lauch of vista, as prices will likely drop by that point, and you will save a bunch of money.

Is there a SPECIFIC reason that you want to use Vista over what you have now?

That is an excellent observation and question.

I am upgrading at this time because I have a problem with the computer crashing all the time. The problem is that I am running Windows XP Professional and sometimes it loads up and sometimes it does not. So I have to go into the computer and take off The Pin or whatever it is to reinitialize it; then reset my CMOS before I can use the computer.

This happens regularly like once a month for the past year and my local computer store says there is nothing I can do to fix it.

So since I have had this computer for 3 yrs. already I figure I had better move on. Eventually with all the replacing of this pin on the mother board I am going to bend it and then it will be a very major problem.

I am a great believer in not buying what I do not need but I believe I really need to move on this sooner than later.

Thanks for the very perceptive question.

Country Boy
ps: my local computer guy is Really excellent. i swear by him and if he says -after 3-4 yrs-that nothing can be done then I prefer to go with his evaluation.

Major question could you please explain the reason behind your statement that..
. "And it would be best to wait until the lauch of vista, as prices will likely drop by that point, and you will save a bunch of money. "

Many thanks for you guidance.

Country Boy

Country Boy
:

I hear what you are saying but I think that our moderator Ethereal_Dragon has something else in mind.

It is a fact of life that the price of all computer technology will decrease with time.

I just do not understand why it is that this January will see this great drop off in prices more than is customary.

Thanks.

Country Boy

I was under the impression you were wanting to upgrade for the SOLE purpose of running Windows Vista, in which case, you would save if the upgrade was done after Vista's release as opposed to today, unless you find a killer holiday deal. As far as I have read (may have changed) Vista's release is in Q1 of 2007, supposedly January. Giving it that little bit of extra time would likely result in price drops, although they may be minimal...

The Dell you listed would probably be your best bet

Ethereal_Dragon

Many thanks for your very thoughtful review of my situation.

Your guidance has been splendid.

Country Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom