Spyware wont get removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolkien

Baseband Member
Hey,

I have a current problem with my computer; I recently just formatted and re-installed windows due to too much spyware, everything seemed fine.

I downloaded Spyware: Search and Destroy, as well as Ad-Aware Personal.

I did a full system scan on each system, and it detected about 8-9 things, and i "fixed" them.

However, everytime i restart, they reappear... i dont know whats wrong.. i even started the computer in safemode and ran the scan

I dont even know where this spyware is coming from, but the main point is getting rid of it!!!!

Please help

What kind of PC is it, and what kind of Spyware is showing up? The reason I'm asking is because Dell PC's have been known to come with Spyware pre-installed on the computer. That's how they can sell them for so cheap because they make money from other companies by pre-installing trial software etc. I don't know if they still do it, but there was a time when brand new Dells come with Spyware already on it. And if you have one of these and are re-installing the OS from the Dell restore CD, then you are probably reinstalling the included Spywar as well. I would try a clean reinstall from an Actual Windows CD and not a restore CD from the manufacturer.

My PC is custom built;

Intel P(4) 3.20 GHz, 1.5GIG RAM, 160GIG HD, ATI Radeon 9800, Syncmaster 913v, ASROCK MB, then the usual cdrom/3.5'' drives + sd card drives and what not.

The spyware showing up:

400dd5e7f5.jpg

I'm willing to bet when you reformatted you probably installed an older version of xp with no firewall and got infected the instant you connect online. This is why I burn a cd including service pack 2, other windows updates, zone alarm, avg 7.5, and firefox before reformatting.

When you reinstalled, did you fully update windows first thing? Do you have service pack 2? Which firewall are you using? Try testing your firewall here https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Are you using the latest version of IE?

I did install an older version, but I updated to SP2 right away. I do not use IE, I use firefox.

I heard zone-alarm both slows down and causes even more problems.. so i unno..

I just use the Windows Firewall, and I tested it on that site, everything is up to date, all ports in stealth and everything :\

"I did install an older version, but I updated to SP2 right away."

did you install SP2 from a CD or online?

If you don't burn it to a CD and connect to the internet without it, your online without a firewall and going to get infected immediately, hopefully you burned it to a disk and installed sp2 before going online.

Use a site like this one http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/ to burn SP2 & other important windows updates to a CD to install after you reformat BEFORE GOING ONLINE.

macdawg said:
[BIf you don't burn it to a CD and connect to the internet without it, your online without a firewall and going to get infected immediately[/B]

I'm no expert when it comes to firewalls and the Internet, but this just does not sound right to me. My copy of XP comes with SP2, so I don't know by experience, but I don't think that just connecting to the Internet when you don't have a firewall is going to immediately lead to you getting viruses...

Regardless, like Warez said, those are just tracking cookies. Have you tried clearing Firefox's cookies through the browser itself or emptying out the folder they're stored in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom