system upgrade needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not certain and would be surprised if AGP( which is still quite widely utilized)would not be available with DX10 compatibility. I believe there will be some. There are many computers out there still running it. And the graphoics card manufactureres have already "updated" their projections and introduced a number of AGP format cards based on the newer GPU's.

I'd ask, does the computer do what you require of it now? And what leads you to believe the present 9800 is failing? Usually it works...or doesnt. Might be overheating due to fan slowdown/dustbunny buildup.

If it still performs well, and the ATI is going south, a used AGP can be obtained for under $100(NV 6800 oc/GT , ATI800 etc) and will give you some improvements. And adding 2-512 ddr3200 is cheap enough, although your situation may be facing diminishing returns with 2gb memory.

I used to have to stay on the bleeding-edge curve, but now have changed somewhat, and upgrade only when the computer either needs major expensive replacemnt parts, no longer performs acceptably, or the new ones provide some other must-have capability.

AGP is very widely used, I still have a system with it, but recently we've only seen a handful of new AGP videocards from the two big makers. And those that do come out are usually pretty crippled. For example, I remember that when the AGP 7800GS came out, it performed the same as the PCI-E 7600GT, while the 7600GT cost like half the price. I believe there's a AGP X1900 or X1950 rolling around somewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't put any more money into AGP, better to just dig yourself out of that hole using this opportunity that you have.

krazefinn said:
I'm not certain and would be surprised if AGP( which is still quite widely utilized)would not be available with DX10 compatibility. I believe there will be some. There are many computers out there still running it. And the graphoics card manufactureres have already "updated" their projections and introduced a number of AGP format cards based on the newer GPU's.

I'd ask, does the computer do what you require of it now? And what leads you to believe the present 9800 is failing? Usually it works...or doesnt. Might be overheating due to fan slowdown/dustbunny buildup.

If it still performs well, and the ATI is going south, a used AGP can be obtained for under $100(NV 6800 oc/GT , ATI800 etc) and will give you some improvements. And adding 2-512 ddr3200 is cheap enough, although your situation may be facing diminishing returns with 2gb memory.

I used to have to stay on the bleeding-edge curve, but now have changed somewhat, and upgrade only when the computer either needs major expensive replacemnt parts, no longer performs acceptably, or the new ones provide some other must-have capability.

i posted pictures in hardware forums which im not expecting anyone to look at...im definatly getting color distortion and playing in game the polypon structure is well..impressive...also i feel ike im in the movie matrix reading the code as it flows across my monitor. the card is as good as dead...at least i can still troll the internet for now.

as far what you said about updating, i agree to update with the computer doing what i need to do. however hopefully if i get a new job soon im gonna need a better work horse as well as a better machine to play WOW burning crusade on....call me a nerd...but im excited to see how the game turns out. otherwise..what i have now works fine for me.

no prob then you just need to have one open. and make your if you buy a new mobo that it has enough expansion slots on it

TriEclipse said:
Well it still doesn't look like you're going to be able to get an 8800GTX in there. Its a $630 card, and off the top of my head, I would think that you'd need atleast a $1300 budget with other quality parts in your build as well.
thats fine...i dont have my heart set on an 8800 ...i really just need something that will do what i need and last me annother 3 years till i get fed up and upgrade again.

No hardware that you buy right now, not even something that costs $3000, will last you 3 years. Even if you bought a 8800GTX, it would be a mid-range card within a year, and a low-end card in a little over 2 years. Especially with everything moving towards DX10, you will need to upgrade your videocard in the next 3 years FOR SURE. The 7950GT is still an excellent card though, and it breezes through all the latest games. If you really want an 8800GTX, it will cost you around $1400 for a system with one. Remember, $650 for a videocard is A LOT of money.

Case - Aspire X-Navigator - $90.

Motherboard - ASUS P5B-E - $151.

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 - $180.

Memory - G.Skill 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 - $200.

Videocard - eVGA GeForce 7950GT - $280.

Power Supply - Forton 400W -$42.

Hard Drive - 250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA3.0 - $75.

Total = $1018.

my seagate and maxtor drives that i have should be able to work withthe new mobo...so i shouldnt needa new one, and i have an old raidmax scorpio case...so that takes some money off the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom