system upgrade needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have any ideas on what the best thing to upgrade would be for me?

id hate to build a new pc at this moment with the new technology coming out in january and be kicking myself later for it, so should i spend the 250 bucks on an agp card in the mean time and wait till january for a new system?

or do you think the advances wont be drastic enough where if i build a system now with a new mobo with intel c2d and new graphics card and memory i wont be swearing at my self for weeks?

also i have a ati wonder tv tuner card...if i decide to build a new PC will the new cards be compatible with it or is it too out of date for either an ati 1900 or nvidia 8800?

Your system is old enough that even if you upgrade it to the best that's out there right now that's still compatible for you, it wouldn't be worth it in the long (or even short) run.

I suggest you build a new computer. Even a new budget PC will be much faster than what you would upgrade to. You could possibly sell this current computer for some additional money, but I don't imagine that you would get too much for it.

Just curious, but if you were to build a new computer, how much would you be willing to spend on it?

ok i also don't remember if its still an issue with dell mem but like last year i tried to upgrade an optiplex gx270 and the ram i bought wouldn't fit???? turned out that dell mobos only accept dell memory so that sux!!!! (they have notches on the wrong side of the ram)
Also yeah agp is overpriced but i don't really know or think that any makers are going to make dx10 agp cards, so that sux and it would be extremely overpriced, also what are you waiting for in january??? only thing would be nothing not even budget dx10 cards or r600, i just checked and the last gainward card i saw was $450 so yeah that sux but nothing really coming soon except vista. so it may be wiser to buy a new comp try building one yourself:p:p . so if your looking to get a PSU id say get an ATX and get the converter and extension my PSU cables are pretty long its just that dell tried so hard to fit everything in that little case of yours thats why the PSU is small and has short cables.

Indeed, AGP is severly overpriced right now. Upgrading to an AGP card wouldn't be a smart idea, especially budget-wise. Also, I agree with TheEnd up there that there probably won't be DX10 AGP cards.

yeah im not buying a computer...id self make one, i self made this one...just a long time ago. id prolly be willing to spend about a grand or so on new parts. i know i dont need a new sound card since i have an xfi and my hard drives are pretty new.

so pretty much id look into buying a c2d but im not sure what speed is not gonnabe outdated in a few months. i was thinking about possibly a 2.4 ghz but who knows.

as far as vid card for a new system theres the whole sli 7900s vs one 8800 or ati1900.... blah blah blah and that whole debate.

Core 2 Duos aren't going to be outdated anytime soon. If you want, you could buy a $180 1.86Ghz E6300 and overclock it to over 3Ghz, and you would have something that has absolutely no competition right now. Even AMD's competition to the Core 2 Duo is still a good 8-10 months away, so that's a "guaranteed" time of non-outdatedness, lol. 2.4Ghz is obviously better, but you should invest the money in other things, like a better videocard.

Speaking of which; there is no way you're going to fit a $630 8800GTX into a $1000 budget with a $180 processor and $200+ of memory.

If you want, just give us the go-ahead and we'll design you a $1000 computer. You live in the US, right?

X-Fi. Impressive. :)

its a pluss or minus range of that amount..luckily xmass is coming up so that means a lil spare cash just intime to save me from looking at a **** yellow colored screen from my mouse cursor.

and sure..if you wanna look at a decent system to build that would work then sure. i have a case and my crappy viomax 550 w psu and so on that i mentioned before..so its just the mem, mobo, graphics card and cpu that i really htink needs upgrading..which..is ..well pretty much everything.

also just curious would the ati wonder pro tv tuner work with a graphics card that new and powerful?

Well it still doesn't look like you're going to be able to get an 8800GTX in there. Its a $630 card, and off the top of my head, I would think that you'd need atleast a $1300 budget with other quality parts in your build as well.

TriEclipse said:
Just a completely innocent and curious question TheEnd187, but how was that post supposed to be helpful in any way to him?
i mentioned ati 1900...some people like to jump on that anytime possible ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom