Windows 2k SP4 Internet Issues. Gotta be something simple I'm overlooking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My brother's computer crashed. Blue screen of death. Safe mode, command mode, everything, gone. No idea what happened. Kudos to Microsoft! The whole **** thing was just unusable and unsalvagable. I don't have a copy of XP anymore and that's what he had on his system, so I dug out Windows 2000 SP4. I installed it no problems, blah blah... can't get it on the internet. It's using a PCI Linksys 10/100 card, and I have the driver for it on disc. Yet it won't work. It says successful install, yet it doesn't work.

In my opinion Windows 2000 is set up kind of stupid. I can't seem to find out how to create a new network location. All I keep finding is dial up connections.

When I ipconfig it in command prompt, I get a gateway, subnet, ip, etc. Looks fine to me. My tcp/ip stack is set to obtain IP automatically.

What to do now? It's acting like it's ignoring the driver. I'm a Linux guy, and can't stand MS for these reasons, so I have little patience when it comes to fixing issues like this when you'd think they should work fine.

Ideas?

Might want to download the driver for 2000 and check device manager again to see if the ethernet adapter is installed correctly. It should be listed in control panel>network connection.

There's no "network connection" just "network and dial up connections." When I try to create a new connection, it wants to create it in dial up.

Device manager has the yellow ! next to it, even when the proper driver is installed. The NIC card on the actual surface of it says LNE100TX Version 5.1. The driver is 5.0. It's the only driver in the 5.x series, so I figured that'd be it. Yet, it doesn't work.

You will definately want to get the exact driver from Linksys. I always have problems with Win2K and the Linksys LNE100TX cards.

Luckily I had the CD still lying around and was able to get it to work. But if you go to the Linksys website and look for drivers for that card, you will see several different versions for that card. Those Linksys cards are very picky about having the exact driver on Win2k. XP is fine, but Win2k is picky on those cards

I do have the CD. That's what's weird. I've tried the CD along with drivers from their site, and nothing seems to work.

I had a **** of a time getting the internet on Windows 2000 Pro (same copy) running on this machine. I have onboard 10/100/1000 on my mobo here too... and yet it still gave me ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom