Status
Not open for further replies.
My set-up is now as follows:

Case: Sunbeam Tuniq Symmetry 1 ($100)
PSU: Chieftec CFT-620A ($130)
Mobo: Asus P5B ($180)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ($250)
Memory: G.E.I.L. 2GB DDR2-667 ($300)
GPU: Gainward 7900GT 512MB (already got it)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB ($100)
Sound: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio OEM ($60)
DVD & Floppy Drive / Card Reader ($70)

Total price: $1,211.40

Raise of $270 is mainly due to the added RAM and sound card. The price right now is a bit high in my opinion, I would like it cheaper if possible. Can anyone recommend me components that should do about the same job for less money? :p

The problem with the PSU isn't the Watts, but the company. Chieftec is a mediocre-ish brand, and brands make all the difference when buying PSUs. Can you link us to the website that you're buying this from so that we can recommend something better?

TriEclipse said:
The problem with the PSU isn't the Watts, but the company. Chieftec is a mediocre-ish brand, and brands make all the difference when buying PSUs. Can you link us to the website that you're buying this from so that we can recommend something better?
I hope you've got a good translator. :D

Actually I reckon you can get by with these two links;

400-600W
600W and above

Keep in mind that the one I have picked now costs €99 = $130. :bald:

Oh, and it is also important to know that the graphic left of the article is green or yellow or a combination thereof (don't want out of stock hardware ;))

Yeah, the processor should be less if I remember correctly, and the WD 250GB is 75 bucks, but it depends on where you're getting it from and where you are haha.

M733mhz said:
Yeah, the processor should be less if I remember correctly, and the WD 250GB is 75 bucks, but it depends on where you're getting it from and where you are haha.
Guess we're a little behind you in Europe then :eek: or everything here is just so **** expensive. :p

Thanks for those links Phrantic, they helped a lot. :)

I found quite a few good ones. Just note that I'm listing them in order of highest-recommended downwards. Some of them are a bit over your 99-euro preference, but they're also excellent Power Supplies.

OCZ GameXStream 600W - €115.
Seasonic 500W -€109.
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W - €109.
Hiper 580W - €79.
OCZ ModStream 500W - €85
Silverstone 500W - €89.

All of them are good, except maybe the last one is a bit iffy if its in the same league as the other ones. The Wattage isn't really that important, but I listed it anyways. But the Seasonic 500W probably provides around the same total power as the OCZ GameXStream 600W, so that's why the Wattage isn't nearly as important as you might think.

Thanks a lot for that post TriEclipse. :D

I must say I'm undecided between the OCZ GameXStream and the Thermaltake Toughpower. Not to say I'm ignoring the Seasonic for having 'only' 500W, but the former two and the Thermaltake in particular with the coating of the cables and the (slightly larger and more silent) fan. So I'm probably leaning slightly towards that one, although the OCZ also looked impressive, cool and quiet in tests.

Their lower wattage power supplies are better quality than their high end ones.

They aren't horrible, they won't blow up everytime. But there are better choices out there.
Though, I can't stop you from buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom