system upgrade needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbol99

Baseband Member
I have about a 4 year old computer with the following:

Asus p4p800 MOBO with intel p4 2.8 with two elixer 400ddr 512 memory slots, however has a 4 channel 400ddr potential.

sound blaster x-fi sound card.

two hard drives, maxtor 120 gig and seagate 160 gig set up master/slave.

550 watt output power supply that some tech replaced my old one with and its prettyyyyy crappy.

as i posted in a hardware problems thread my ati 9800 pro video card seems to be failing. i figure while im gonna upgrade i might as well upgrade to possibly more ram if anyone thinks its a good idea.

i guess i have two questions....one would be what would be the best graphics card that my existing MOBO can handle?

and if it can handle anyhting....should i wait till january when the new hardware realeases are...well..released with the new capabilities that supposedly exist for graphics cards and the like.

to be more exact this is the mobo specs

# USB Support: 2.x Compliant
# Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
# Chipset: Intel 865PE
# Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
# Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
# Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 4096MB
# Max Component Density: 512Mb
# 184-pin DIMM Banking: 4 (4 banks of 1)
# Graphics Support: AGP 8X

since i have two 512 and its a four slot mobo is it better to have two 1 gig slots or would 4 512 slots be...well out of the question?

i went to crucial and heres the link if you think i need more then 1 gig of ram.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P4P800

what brands would you trust he most..wouldnt nessicarilly buy from here..but it at least sets up the compatibility easily.

secondly what aobut a graphics card that will work with the agp 8x....i really dont wanna hear that i should just go for a new chipset and mobo....i know the p4 2.8 is not really up to par nowadays but its not thattttt bad is it?

it clearly says that it doesn't support 1gb sticks dude, so i guess find out whats your max mem your mobo can handle and post that. for your gfx card upgrade the best would Be XFX GeForece7800GS Extreme edition,BFG GeForce7800GS OC, or Gainward Bliss 7800GS+
The best gfx card is
1.Gainward
2.XFX
3.BFG
Please note these cards are extremely overpriced
Why does crucial say your max ram module is 512 and your max mem is 4gb?

TheEnd187 said:
it clearly says that it doesn't support 1gb sticks dude, so i guess find out whats your max mem your mobo can handle and post that. for your gfx card upgrade the best would Be XFX GeForece7800GS Extreme edition,BFG GeForce7800GS OC, or Gainward Bliss 7800GS+
The best gfx card is
1.Gainward
2.XFX
3.BFG
Please note these cards are extremely overpriced
Why does crucial say your max ram module is 512 and your max mem is 4gb?

i dunno why crucial says that, im just going by what crucial says..i didnt make the webpage. and if it didnt accept the 1 gig then i dunno why its suggesting 1 gig sticks and saying its compatable.

digitaldaily.com gave these specs:
- Four 184-pin slots for DDR SDRAM DIMM;
- Maximum memory capacity 4GB;
- Supported memory types - PC2100/PC2700/PC3200;
- Dual-channel memory access;
- Onboard power indicator

so stills ays max is four gig...didnt say what the max slot is though

check your mobos documentation but if those sites are correct then i would get 1gb increments instead of 512 since then youll have to sell the 512's so i would get 1gb corsair value selects theyre only like 115$ online so go for 1gb increments you problaly will upgrade to a new computer before you get 4gb of ram

also i jsut double checked the AGP requirements and it said that it must be a 1.5 v AGP card, 3.3 v cards will not be supported.

Okay so you think that more agp cards will be released in january? The arent makeing new agp releases any more dude. But if you are going to build a new computer then, well then yes the more budget dx10 cards are coming out.

think itll just be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new mobo/chipset and get a much better graphics card for it if finding a 7800 is gonna be overpriced?

if that seems the better option should i just wait till january when the new hardware comes out?

as far as the memory...if it is compatable ill sell my sticks to my dad's crappy dell that only has a 256 in it.

lancec2c30 said:
Okay so you think that more agp cards will be released in january? The arent makeing new agp releases any more dude. But if you are going to build a new computer then, well then yes the more budget dx10 cards are coming out.

i ment a full upgrade yeah...id hate to buy stuff now and then find out the new windows and chipsets and so on arnt gonna be compatable with what i buy now compatable. i heard someone say its not gonna be compatable with duel cores is that true? or did i read it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom