Pc shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroshine

Beta member
Hey guys..

I have a problem with my computer shutting down on me. I can surf the web, listen to streaming radio on Winamp and even play games on Pogo.

When I go to play a Il2 Sturmovik or Call of Duty, or run A^2 virus scanner, my computer looses power. I also notice at times a noise like a mid-high pitch whine possibly coming from my hardrive. Sometimes it randomly comes on , whines and runs for 30 seconds, then shuts down.

I've got a 3000mhz athlon 64, gigabyte K8ns Pro mb, 1gb ddr ram, 480-watt thermaltake power supply, WD 200gb HD, 6600GT Video Card if it helps at all.

I'm either thinking the hardrive is on its last legs and any kind of information major file access causins a problem or my power supply is going.

Any help would be appreciated.

How long have you had the computer, and have any of those parts been installed recently?

Also, if you can get the thing to keep running for a few minutes, run some diagnostics like checkdisk, memtest, etc

I've had the computer since early 2005. I built it myself, never had any problems til it crashed in august. Just froze and that was it. Noticed the whining buzz shortly therafter .

All the parts are were installed a year and a half ago. I checked all the connections, wires, loose ram, all that.

Going to try some of those things you reccomend and i'll let you know what happened.

If you can get the tests to finish, make sure you make a hard copy of the results somewhere in case the pc crashes again

On that memtest program, how exactly do you make a bootable cd-rom ?

I 've tried to do it to the best of my ability to read instructions written for somone who knows how to use the program already...*sarcasm*, but it will not boot when i restart the system.

I even changed the sequence in the bios to boot from a cd before the hardrive and nothing.

any help on memtest will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom