artic silver and still hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
ive put my new artic silver 5 on my 2600 o/c to 2700 (2203mhz) ive got a jet 7 ( just alum heat sink with copper base) my temps with the stock coolermaster paste was between 50 and 55 at load. now ive changed it its gone straight to 50 again with my fan on slowest and 48 with it on full i not happy i expected it to drop around 5C to around 45 my case temp is 38C. i dont think ive put very much on i tried to keep it as thin a layer as posible. any1 got any ideas why this is? thanks

what are your temps at normal settings? Also what are the normal settings? ( I'm thinking normal is 166 * 11.5 = 1909MHz)

If your running your processor at 2.2GHz doesn't that equal a 3200+ processor?

ive got 200fsb times 11. its only 256L2 cache so i dont think it will come out as a 3200+. i read it takes afew time on it heatin up then cooling ie comp on comp off comp on comp off type thing but i though it would do summit straight away tbh
the normal fsb i think is 166 x11.5 like u sed, my voltage is only 1.6. im confused

I would try backing off the multipler a bit. Try 10.5 or even 10.

In my situation, i was able to get the FSB speed to 200 no problem, but when i increased the multiplier my temps started to go up(53-56). My signature shows a 200*10 overclock, but i'm now running it at 200*10.5. My temps stay at 49-50 degrees no matter what i do, so i'm satasfied with that.

To me, the FSB speed is the most important in an overclock. You're getting a 20% increase there. CPU clock speed is great, but the FSB is the bottleneck. With a 200 MHz FSB speed you're getting the full bandwith of your RAM. That alone should show a noticable increase in your system's performance.

well hold on.... It may not be is OCing. It may just be his fan... How fast is ur fan? how many CFM is is blowing out? and uh...u said it was a aluminum coated base. Maybe u wanna get a fan with it being all copper.. since copper is better then aluminum in hear situations.

its a copper base with alum fins. its just the normal jet 7

http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/cooling/jet7_1.php

wish i neva got it and got a Thermalright slk 900 :( i always have it on the lowest speed wen idle then up it wen it starts getin hot but it really loud thats why i turn it down (i have 4case fans, hddfan, gpu fan and psu fan on op of that and that is louder than the lot on highest.)

I'm just trying to give some suggestions. If you want the fan to run at a lower speed, there is going to be some sort of trade off. like higher temps. if you want to lower your temps, increase the fan speed, reduce your overclock, or go with some water cooling. Monster00 likes his water cooled machine, i'm sure he would be glad to make some suggestions.

Bottom line is that it only takes a few minutes to back down the overclock. if you don't get any results, it's just a few buttons to return to your present situation.

ok im leavin my fan on full blast. execpt on a nite if it needs to be on. ive upped to multi to 11.5 and my temp was 46-47 and i blue screened so i upped to voltage to 1.625 and im waitin to see if it stable. thanks for the help guys. think il be gettin sum watercooling soon, fingers crossed. any1 recommend a decent setup for around £150 - £170 (Uk pounds). also any1 know the link for how to tell if ur multi is locked? i remember reading it but i cant find it with search :(

u know... it sounds like u need watercooling... since u OCed and the fan is not working for u, and you dont like the noise i think watercooling is right for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom