e-machine repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
No nothing at all comes on. All that changers is when you plug power into the system the mobo light comes on. You cant get it to do anything after that.

It is fried. Go get a new mobo, there is probably nothing you can do.

What happened anyways? Did it just stop working one day? Is it plugged into a surge protector? I mean, if there was a power surge, the mobo could have gone toasty real fast. I say see what parts you can salvage out of it, but unfortunately, if the mobo fries, sometime the parts stuck in it do too.

Just a note from personal experience... some of those emachines motherboards have a different wiring on the 20 pin power harness. Be careful which power supply you plug into it.

well I think it was a standard 20 pin connector, because the other power supply I plugged in poped in the mobo 20 pin no problem.

Anyways, my granparents live like an hour and 15 minutes from our house and we try to visit them every couple months. I went down there a couple days after they had a thunder and lightning storm. Their power went out for over a day, I dont know if there was a power surge or not. But I dont think it could have doen anything because the computer was plugged into a power surge protector. And the reset button wasnt switched when I went and looked at it.

My grandma said the computer worked fine the last time she used it and she said it sut down fine. But when I went in to tunr it on and do a defrag for her it just wouldn't turn on.

No bios beep codes at all? Remove all memory, and if mobo is good, it should beep. Same with cpu.

I'd try to reset the cmos, unplug ang reseat all connections, reseat all cards and memory modules. Sometimes something just gets loose and it wont post. Long shot but at this point worth a try. Also make sure the cpu hs fan is working....might also see if its just the cpu, if you have access to to another chip of that format. Another easy enough thing to try is a stripped boot. Incidentally, I've seen cases where a fried modem would cause the same symtoms: remove all but video card. Disable all onboard peripherals in bios to diagnose they might not be causing some problem. Also recall a compuqe that wouldnt boot unless the reset button was hit after power switch, and another with a weird 20=pin board connector that needed wiggling.

Just be forewarned usually oem stuff like emachines, compuqe, etc you cannot replace the psu, case, or motherboards due to proprietary configurations. That said, I have modded a few cases and such to make it work, but often its fruitless.

okay I have said this like three times. :) nothing happpens, no fans come on, no hard drive spins up, no cdrom drives spin up. The power supply doesnt come on. You hit the on button or try to turn the computer on manually and it does nothing. Absolutley nothing!!

this might sound likea stupid question...but are you just pushing the on off button or flipping hte PSU switch also, for some reason ive found some random reboots need to reset the PSU before it will power anyhting. i know its a dumb thing ..but sometimes the small things get over looked.

well the power supply doenst have its own power switch. so that rules that out. The onyl means of controlling the power on this thing is the cord to the power supply and the on/off switch in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom