PC fails to turn on...but PSU isn't completely dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are correct, NOTHING happens at all, no fans spinning, nothing.

If i figure out that the PSU is not the problem (new psu doesn't work if/when i get my hands on one) then is it safe to assume i should replace the mobo, or is that still not the definite problem?

Ill try dusting.....but i can't see that alone solving hte problem

thanks

yea....i realize that. Ok, so i'll get my hands on another psu (might take one out of this (my parents' computer) but it's a dell, so that might not be an option, or some sort of PSU checker doohicky......and if that fails ill RMA the mobo (lol good luck there since lightning is specifically not covered and order that Evga sli mobo.

hey, who ever said that you have to tell them about the lightning? just tell em that you turned it off, and like went to the store, or took a nap r sumptin, and went to turn it on and it didnt post. did same with my video card (accidentally shorted it out with a wire from a fan...to cheap for a molex to fan adapter) and just told em i restarted, and there was no video, and asked for an rma, and it worked, but they stole my hsf...

as for psu, yea, unless its an older dell, it might not work (not sure what type of ps connecter new dells use) but you can get like a 60$ psu thats pretty decent ...here

o, on the comments, the 2 that say doa are from the same user...so dont freak, its a good psu

K thanks. I'll look into that (among others on newegg) if it turns out i need a new psu. Man, this better be the psu and not the mobo; installing a new psu will take ten minutes, but doing the same for a mobo is a project.

so there is NO chance its something totally different like my graphics card (thats a pain in the wallet to replace) or cpu or something?

meh actually that psu isn't SLI-capable or whatever so id pass on it.

but thanks anyways for reccomendation. I might just run with the RMA'd psu....and wait for that to come and save the money on a new psu.

wait, ur stuff is still under rma warranty? i was assuming it was out of it. just rma the psu, if no boot, rma mobo. but as someone said above, have you ran the system out of the case yet? had it happen to me before, booted outside of case to my surprise, just enough life left in it to back up my stuff to some cd-r's and play about 2 hours of halo. also, take a good look at the mobo, look for burnt circuts, and smell the psu. and one last thing, have you unplugged the pc yet? if no, then unplug it for about 5 hours, and try again. its rare for a psu to fry cause of a storm, but it does happen

everything's unplugged unless im plugging it in and switching on the psu to test the on button again. then i turn off and unplug it all.

I dont really want to run it out of the box.....even though i build the computer from scratch, and im comferable messing around with it...I dont want to take it all apart again unless it's necisary.

Im pretty sure its under RMA. On newegg where it was ordered from it let me apply for RMA or whatever. where exactly would i look for burned circuts on mobo?

I did the trick of putting a paper clip into two of the holes in the atx connector of the psu...and when i did that i felt the faintest air coming thru the psu fans...so faint, and so quiet....

so, is this an indication of the psu working? i need a new mobo FOR SUR?

well, was the psu quiet to begin with? yes the psu works if it does that, so it could very possibly be the mobo, or the switch is bad. can you trace the wires from the on/off switch to the mobo connector and try to start it with a paperclip by touching the 2 pins together? if it does, you saved yourself the hassle of buying a new motherboard, now u just need a switch (if it turns on that way) and what model is your psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom