New Computer Question (Intel CPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinG

Baseband Member
Hello,

My uncle wants me to build him a gaming pc using an Intel chip he wants the best yet not to ^$^ so i have choosen a Intel P4 3.0E GHz 800MHz -1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology for him. Now that i have choosen a CPU i must get a good motherboard.

Any suggestions on what kind of mobo to get thats great with this chip and great for gaming... also if possible could you please include what type of ram runs with it best (ex. DDR400 PC3200 Corsair,Kingston...) ?

Help would help me greatly
Thank you
Jackal

I hear the 875p chipset is good, however, I think if you wanted good price to performance, you could easily get a faster Athlon for the same price.

AMD's are ment for gaming so i agree. Even though they do run hotter... but um for the motherboard.. i would get a ASUS P4p800 for intel.

As you can see I'm a virgin; just about to complete my first build tomorrow night. I got the Intel 3.2E, very similar to the one you picked out. I got the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo (not to pricey either). If you go to Intel's website and select your CPU they will display which Mobo's are compatible (all brands).

As far as which is the best for that CPU...I guess you will have to wait until after I put mine together. I will try to update you when I'm done.

BTW I got 2X512 Twin Corsair DDR400, as well. Damn I can't wait till I get the rest tomorrwo!!!!

You should stay away from the 'E's (Prescott) since they run hot and I also game but I don't notice a difference with the extra cache.

Since your mobo question was already answered and I agree with the answers I'll try and answer your memory question.

If you get a CPU with an FSB speed of 800MHz, you should get PC3200 DDR400 RAM. For the exact brand of RAM you need to check the QVL (qualified vendor list). I would go with 2X256MB or 2X512MB.

Originally Posted By Richard You should stay away from the 'E's (Prescott) since they run hot and I also game but I don't notice a difference with the extra cache.

It runs hot Ill give you that, but not much hotter than a northwood of the same speed

also, I find that athlons tend to run just as hot at the same performance

I just bought a 2.8E and it runs better than Ive ever seen a desktop run - it boots in like 3 seconds

Monster00 said:
AMD's are ment for gaming so i agree. Even though they do run hotter... but um for the motherboard.. i would get a ASUS P4p800 for intel.

Last time I checked AMD's were meant for desktop applications. As well as Intels were meant for multimedia. For example a p4 will render video using 3dStudio max far faster than an AMD chip.

I would go with the prescott on an intel 865 PERL motherboard and 1 gig of dual channel pc-3200 memory. They run hot but are very fast and have SSE3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom