Problems, please input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshSB

Geek Squad
Hey guys, I seem to be having a problem here, a friend of mine recently gave me her computer to get virus and spyware off of it, and installed 512MB ram stick.

Now, the problems that arose afterwords were the following:

It will not stay hooked up to the internet: (this could be occuring because she uses Dial-up and I will check when I go out to my parents tomorrow and hook it up to their DSL.

Won't Respond to desktop icons: she describes it as being unresponsive which is the exact opposite that I would expect after installing 512mb ram into the computer (I ran it for an hour doing things and it seemed to work fine and I even defragged it)

Wont "surf" when hooked to the internet: apparently when hooked to Earthlink (their internet) it will not respond with Internet Explorer.

Sometimes will not shut off without being forced: she says it refuses to turn off and will not boot down when being told to shut off.

Now, what I did to the computer:

Installed the free version of AVG Antivirus, Installed Spybot: Search and Destroy, Installed 1 512MB stick of RAM, and defragged the computer. I also ran CCleaner and cleaned up temporary files and the registry which was filled with old and unused file extensions and old programs ect. Also, remnants of Nortan internet was still in the computer so I used Nortan Removal Tool (found on nortan's website) to remove left overs.

It is an old Compaq running off of Windows XP, with now 1 gig of Ram.

ANY insight as to what could of happened, what may be conflicting, or what else may be the cause of such odd behavior would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys for any insight you can give me.

-Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom