FX-55 or X2???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNiGHTMaRe89

In Runtime
FX-55, Opty 170 or X2 4400???

im not sure whether to go dual core or not, but all 3 are in the same price range. i will be doing lots of gaming, school work, and browsing the web...

Edit: Just saw that it was the 4400.

I would go for the 4400, personally. The FX series doesn't offer anything special except an unlocked multiplier.

Re: post below:
The FX-60 and newer are dual core, but the previous models are not.

aren't the FX series dual core?(i don't know amd) but if you want X-2 will be much better for multitasking.

the 3800 is a great clocker def worth the money, i got one for 140 bucks.Its at 2.5 stable on air cooling at 43c under heavy load. So i basically have a 4600 for the price of a 3800....of course you will need other components capable of handling the oc.

basically i just want to know whether the difference of the 1000/2000 HTT will make a difference and/or the major differences between the L1/L2 cache between each CPU. As of now, im looking at the Opteron 170 or the 3800. Im kind of weary on the Fx-55 because i have been reading that Dual cores will really be needed for Vista and i might as well upgrade now.

KNiGHTMaRe89 said:
So basically even though the Opteron has 1000mhz less on the HTT it is still better then the fx-55 or x2 4400?

The Opteron does not have 1000Mhz less on the HTT. For one, the HTT that you're referring to is actually the HyperTransport (HT) bus. This bus is Dual-Pumped, meaning that (like DDR memory) there is an instruction on the rising and falling edges of the clock cycle. This means that the actual 1000Mhz speed of the HT bus is effectively the same as a 2000Mhz Bus. I believe the Athlon 64s list the effective speed of the Bus on Newegg, while the Opterons list the actual speed. The HTT is the core system clock (200Mhz on Athlon 64s) and is synonymous with the core FSB on Intel systems.

That said, why aren't you going with the much faster, and cheaper, Intel Core 2 Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom