dual monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire7skater

Solid State Member
i have a dell latitude laptop n i wanna be able to plug a monitor into it and have the same display on the other monitor as on the laptop monitor. i pluged the other monitor in and restarted the computer but wen i reight clicked, went to properties, settings it doesn't have the two monitors. is just have the normal one monitor but where it says Display is says (multiple monitors) on ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X (DELL), but nothing is showing up on the other monitor. Please help. Thanx.

I believe there is an FN key in your laptop.
There is also somewhere in the numerical keys, something like two squares, imagine one square then another square right on top of that but up and to the left a little. That is what this icon looks like.
Press fn and the key with that logo. THere are 3 options that you toggle like this. One is laptop display only, external monitor only, and display both (not necessarily in that order). So once you get it to display on both post another message if you have problems after or during this process.

ok awsome! it worked. except on the number keys it wasn't to squares. it says CRT/LCD, it's on F8. now i have another question. is there anyway i can use the second monitor to extend my desktop? i've done it on my desktop but that was also wen there was the option in display settings to "extend desktop" which i don't have that setting on the laptop. thanks for your help.

The function key monitor control is just one of the steps you need to take in order to activate your multi-monitor capabilities.

You have to go to your display properties (After you plug second monitor AND enable it witht he function controls) and click on the SECOND monitor, you will see an option that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." Make sure that is check marked.

One that is done, you simply move your mouse from your main monitor towards (Usually the right hand side) your second monitor and you will see the arrow move into the second monitor.

I included a screenshot for your convenience.

Attachments

• multiple monitor display properties.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 74
thats the thing, my laptop doesn't have that. my desktop i did that but the laptop doesn't show 2 monitors in the settings thing like your pic does, even wen both monitors are plugged in and both showing the same display. any other way to extend the desktop?

If you don't see this then you prob. don't have multiple monitor support on your laptop.

What kind of display adaptor do you have again?
ATI Mobility (What is the model number? 9200, 9600 etc.)

Also, updating to the latest display drivers could help but it really depends on what kind of display adaptor you have.

I see, I just wanted to double check, the model number was correct.

Here is some information from ATI with the stats on your card.

Here is the latest driver I found, make sure you are running up to date drives with the latest ATI software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom