Is overclocking with a VIA chipset really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok I have a MachSpeed MK8-939A with a VIA K8T890 chipset. I am trying to overclock a amd 4000 skt 939 and was wondering whats the max oc I could probably hit with this combo because people tell me via sucks for overclocking.

Chipset alone will never determine an overclock.

It depends on alot fo things.
Quality of motherboard and CMOS Options
Qaulity of RAM
CPU Heatsink and thermal PAste (Type of CPU cooling)
Ambient Temp of room
CPU Temp
Power supply quality and stability fo voltage and amperage rails.
Case cooling (Computer: Average temp all parts)

Post your Components, temps, Power supply info, RAM Info, Everest Main page info.

Post your Components, temps, Power supply info, RAM Info, Everest Main page info.

Socket 939 AMD 4000+ (Stock cooler, idles around 20 degrees celcius)
Mach Speed MK8-939A Motherboard
EVGA 7900GS with vf900
Generic 450W PSU (+5V=30A, +3.3V=25A, +12V=25A)
160 Seagate Hard drive
Sony CD/DVD reader
2x 512mb sticks of kingston value ram (3-3-3-8 timings I think) in dual channel

GPU temp=37 degrees celcius
CPU temp=(cant get a stable reading, looks to be between 10 and 30 degrees celcius)
Ambient temp=22 degrees celcius

The case has 4 120mm fans with a max output of 75cfm's and one 92mm fan that is fixed at 40cfm. The psu fan pushes alot of air as well. The 4 120mm are controllable and are on minimum right now and push probably 25 cfms.

Both video card and cpu have as5 on them in a nice thin layer.

Yep, The chipset won't hold you back as much as that value RAM or that Generic Power supply will.

My reccomendation is if you want a real nice overclock. And Itll Cost ya.
Aftermarket Heatsink: Pure copper and Some AS5 with a high CFM Fan
New RAM: Low latency PC3700 or PC4000, OCZ or Patriot
New Power supply: In this Case Probably a 550 Watt Antec Smart Power or a Hiper 580 Watter Depending on your future upgrade plans.

Of course you could always see how far you can get with your current setup, Prepare to be disapointed.

Yep. This is why I reccomend to people: That when they first build a PC they should buy everything for overclocking. Because if you don't, you only screw yourself later when you want to.

the chipset will not determine the overclock speed. but it will determine the stability of your overclock.

I've never heard that just cuz its via iys not clockable...
it depends on each board. I have clocked via boards al the way back to the last century!

Although I do prefer NForce!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom