SATA master/ATA slave hard drive help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyberesk

Solid State Member
Im having some trouble hooking up a hardrive and i found this forum thinking you guys/gals will be able to help me. I have a dell 8300 with a SATA 120 gb hard drive. Today someone gave me a 200 gb maxtor Parallel ATA/100 internal hard drive. I need to have everything still run off the SATA 120 gb hard drive, while just using the 200 gb hard drive for music and other things.

I tried a few things already, but anything you guys can do to help me out would be great:D

Thanks

Are you saying that your other EIDE are non-exsistent or occupied?

The ATA 100 Drive should be pulled into the EIDE adapter using a ATA 100 or 133 Ribbon Cable. There are adapters for SATA to EIDE but. Only 1 Drive per SATA Cable. And 2 Device per EIDE Adapter.

Umm

Well i have the SATA cable plugged into the SATA hard drive and that is working fine.

I have the Ribbon wire plugged into the port it fits into(40 pronged) on the motherboard? THe ribbon wire has 3 40 prong connection things on it (one blue/one grey/one black). I have the blue one into the motherboard and the black one into the ATA 100 hard drive. But it isnt working and i dont know what to do, or what i did wrong?

...Dont mind my poor computer/technical vocabulary im not very advanced in this kind of stuff.

Did you set the Drive to Master and Or Cable Select.

The PIns next to the Cable setting. You have to move the jumper to a specific pin combination.

i set it to slave? took the plastic thingy completely out? What am i supposed to set it to?

Alright im gunna try that....ill be back in a few minutes to tell you how it worked out

I set the jumpers to master...and plugged the black end of the cable into the drive and the blue end into the motherboard. And its still not working. Any Other Ideas?

Did you connect the 4 Pin Molex Connector?

Is it being detected at POST by BIOS.

Since your already Logged into windows, Look in computer managment, Disk managment And post a screen shot if possible. Or tell us what drives it lists.

What CD/DVD Roms do you have?

Did you connect the 4 Pin Molex Connector? YES

Is it being detected at POST by BIOS. Not Sure?

Your going to havta tell me what to do with the bios. i have no clue what im doing with that.

Ummmm i have a CD R drive and a DVD rW dual layer drive.

It Says i have one disc drive working now. No other ones are listed. Beyond that im kind of confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom