Problems with Bios Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELDDJOC

Beta member
First, here are my specs :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz

Abit AB9 Motherboard with latest Bios

Corsair TWINX XMS2 PC-6400-C4 Version (2 x 1 GB Matched Pair)

Gecube ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Music

Antec P180 Case + Antec TRIO! 550W PS

I was changing the bios values as the Abit settings seemed to be wrong. The Corsair DDR2 800 RAM C4 version was supposed to have a timing of 4-4-4-12, but with the default SPD settings, only runs at 5-5-5-16. I changed the values, and then changed the RAM settings underneath the CPU clock speed to DDR2-800 instead of SPD AUTO.

The PC then would not boot, and following the instructions in the AB9 manual, I placed the 3 pin jumper on the reset mode, waited 40 seconds, then took it out and replaced it in the default position.

The PC then booted, but something was not right. The bios screen had some sort of weird coloured rectangular spots and felt as if it was going to crash. I exited the bios after setting it on normal values.

I thought the bios was corrupted, so I tried to re-flash the bios with the same bios file to overwrite the current one, but it just would not work and stopped. I reset the computer, and the bios read : CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR - Defaults loaded.

My computer has not been quite stable since.

Can anyone help me out ? Is something dead ?

You may have damaged the ram or overclocked the ram and damaged the motherboard. Try pulling out a single stick of ram at a time (if you have more then 2) and try to see if you can find a bad stick.

I ran memtest86 through 3 passes, but there were no RAM errors.

So the CMOS checksum error indicates motherboard failure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom