Which Network Cards???

Status
Not open for further replies.
wireless or just normal LAN card?
If wireless I would recommend D-Link, cheap and faster (I think)
Linksys will be more secure!

I have a d-link lan card that i bought new for $14 and it has worked perfect, never a problem.

Shrapnill said:
Linksys.

Cheap and dependable.

Also, D-Link and 3com are decent too.

I think linksys is just cheap, period. I have had many IRQ issues with them. My one windows 2000 machine has had numerous forced shutdowns due to "IRQL not less or equal" errors generated by the linksys card. I know it was my linksys card because I analyzed the mini dumps. I would recommend NetGear, as they are reportedly more IRQ friendly. Also with the linksys NIC I have if the system utilizes over 60 connections over my network the NIC card malfunctions. This is very noticeable while using programs such as Bittorrent.

If I have a on board lan on my motherboard where my broadband plugs into, would I nessesairly need a network card?... All I see on the back of network cards are phone line jacks, no ethernet.

Definitely use Ethernet; if you are using a direct internet connection medium (e.g. to a broadband modem), HomePNA (via RJ11 jacks) simply doesn't suffice - you're limited to a link speed of only 1 Mbps.

If your motherboard already comes with onboard LAN, an extra NIC isn't necessary unless you want to use a dedicated connection for each.

I personally use the D-Link (which my ISP provided for me), and haven't had any issues as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom