Remove old dll files from your system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
The uninstallation of files does not always seem to work as intended on Windows XP, it is no secret that the system folder grows over time. If you delete a program directory by hand for example all dll files in the system directory remain where they are. There is also the case where you want to uninstall a program and a window pops up asking wether you want to delete a driver which could be used by other programs as well.

DLL Archive is able to clear this mess. The freeware scans and verifies all dll files on your system and adds them to a list of dlls that are most likely obsolete. Most likely means that there is of course a chance that this dll is still needed and for this purpose DLL Archive archives the dlls which means that they are moved from the system dirs to an archive dir (DLLArchive in the windows folder). You have to work with your computer as usual at this point, reboot it for instance and see if everything is still working as intended.

If you receive errors you should move the dll that is mentioned back to the system directory. I performed a scan and it found more than 450 dll files. I decided to archive them all and see what would happen. Well, nothing happened at all. I was able to reboot my computer, start my programs as usual without problems at all.

The size of the DLLArchive folder was 196 megabytes, this is huge if you ask me. I suggest you keep those files at least for a week and see if any error pops up at a later time. If not appears delete them or back them up before you do.

http://www.ghacks.net/2006/11/21/remove-old-dll-files-from-your-system/#more-929

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom