gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrantic

In Runtime
If you read my previous topic you'll know I'm making my own gaming rig, I'm not going to ask you if it's a good gaming rig because I know it is, but I'm asking if I'm getting the right parts for the right price and if the system is balanced overall. I've got this (prices roughly converted from euros):

Case: Sunbeam Tuniq Symmetry 1 ($100)

PSU: Chieftec CFT-560A CM ($125)

Mobo: Asus P5B ($180)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ($250)

Memory: Buffalo 2x512MB DDR2-667 ($130)

GPU: Gainward 7900GT 512MB (already got it)

HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 17 160GB ($85)

DVD & Floppy Drive / Card Reader ($70)

Total price: $940

My budget is around $1k so there's a bit more space to change parts for parts with a better price-quality ratio.

Should this be enough to keep me going for at least three years and playing the next-gen games on high res? I imagine I'll stick in a little more RAM as I go but that can always be changed.

I'm considering putting in a surround soundcard (5.1 will do), which one isn't too pricey for my needs?

Any suggestions for optimizing this rig would be greatly appreciated. :D

Get a 580 Watt Hiper or For more a little more the 700 Watt OCZ. ( there may be a lower wattage OCZ) BUt both are still better than the power supply you posted.
As for the harddrive you can get a Bigger drive at much less cost Per GB. Seagate or WD.

I don't really need a big hard drive, of course any hard drive that is remarkably bigger and around that price would do.

As for the power supply, I'll look into it. Thanks. :)

So far I've got this upgraded. Will cost me an extra $15-ish.

PSU: Chieftec CFT 620A (same price o_O)
HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250gb ($100)

Still both the same brands, just better parts for nearly the same price.

On the hard disk part, the Seagates and Western Digitals they were selling were a bit too big for my liking, or they were more expensive per GB than the Maxtor I picked now.
The Hipers they got are a lot of buck for just 20 extra Watt, the 700 Watt OCZ is relatively as expensive as the Chieftec but I reckon it'll be a bit too much for me, right? There's a 600W OCZ around but for an extra $25, is that worth it? Considering the Chieftec I got now is 620 and cheaper.

Maxtor... unless it is one of the newest ones, since Seagate took over... No, I still wouldn't buy it.

Seagate or Western Digital are the best.

i wud get 2gb of ram now cuz ive heard it makes alot of difrence and i think if you get 4x 512mb ram it runs slower then 2x 1 gb

True, UT. If you plan on gaming, two gig is the sweet spot.

If you can't afford two gigs off the bat, go for a single stick of one gig, then add another later.

Looking into that, if anyone can tell me the difference between the RAM speeds, which is smarter to get (mobo supports 533, 667 and 800)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom