Nvidia Taking Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
4x4 is gay and not even quad core, dual socket and will be mainly for servers so yeah why not just get an itanium2?

Its not mainly for servers, AMD already has Opteron 2xx for that. 4x4 is just for the filthy rich, and frankly stupid, desktop users. Itanium 2s can't process x86 instructions, as far as I know. :p

TriEclipse said:
Its not mainly for servers, AMD already has Opteron 2xx for that. 4x4 is just for the filthy rich, and frankly stupid, desktop users. Itanium 2s can't process x86 instructions, as far as I know. :p
actually, 4x4 is a great idea for servers, especially clusters of computers.
it means you get more cores per box, and there's lower latencies between all the cores.
it means you don't need as many boxes for the same amount of cores, therefore in total, they use less power per core, and there's less maintenance.

With Opteron 8xx processors, you can have 8 cores on one motherboard. A bit more than the 4 cores you get with 4x4. You can bet than any tech from 4x4 that can be used to improve the Opterons, will be used in that fashion.

You may save power on the rest of the system components, but when one FX-74 chugs 125W of power per physical processors, a 4x4 system has 250W of power consumption just from the processors.

Lol, are you kidding me?

4x4 isn't 4 Quad Cores. Its 2 Dual Cores. 4x4 is supposed to mean 4 cores x 4 videocards (Quad-SLI).

The configuration is one Dual Core processor in each of the two sockets on the motherboard. Its going to be for Socket 1207, and will require FX-7* processors. These FX-7*s will have to be bought in pairs, you will not be able to buy them separately. What's more, each processor will consume 125W of power, resulting in a total of 250W of power consumption from the CPUs. The FX-7*s are also K8 processors, not K8L. How is AMD supposed to release 4x4 in Q4 2006 with K8L processors?

When AMD releases their K8L Quad Core in Q3 2007, you will probably be able to use their 4x4-themed FX processors in a 8-core system, but still only consisting of one Quad Core in each of the two sockets on the motherboard.

I would assume that AMD would also release Quad-Core Opteron processors. That is the only way you would be able to get 16 cores in a system - An Opteron Quad-Core processor in each of the 4 sockets on these server motherboards. But that is not called 4x4.

4 cores + 4 video cards was already out a while ago, I think Tyan has been making motherboards for it.

I did read a pdf file from AMD, though I can't find it now, explaining that 4x4 was for 16 cores.

TriEclipse said:
Enough excuses. I don't really care what was out or for how long. Fact is 4x4 means 4 cores on the motherboard with 4 videocards. And its NOT 16 cores, whatever PDFs you may have read. I don't even care if you find it again, its not true.

How did you not know this stuff though, it's been all over the internet. Did you think reading one PDF was enough to ignore the dozens of articles that've been on all the major hardware websites over the past few months?

Not to mention that 4x4 is supposed to come out this month.
no need to get narky. I'm only stating what I've read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom