Power supply problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konan

Beta member
I'm sorry if this is too brief, but my cat kept distracting me last night and I theink the post timed out. So my problem in a nutshell is this: Whenever I turn off the rear switch on my power supply, I have to wait a while before turning on the computer before I can get any video. It seems like the machine may be POSTing, but I can't tell for sure. Any help on this is appreciated. :)

-Konan

Whenever I turn off the rear switch on my power supply..
why are you using the switch on the back of the power supply to shut the computer off? is the normal shut down not working ?

Could be a bios battery need replaced
could be a failing monitor
could be a bad monitor cable
could be a bad video card.
could be a bad power supply.

pls list computer specs and explain why we are using the power supply switch to shutdown.

Does your keyboard have the Num lock/Caps lock/Scroll lock lights? If so, look at them while booting. If they flash on then off, it POSTed.

Thanks for replying. :) I use the rear switch whenever I'm swapping out hardware which is not plug-and-play. (Cards, IDE drives, etc.) The system by and large does power down fine. I don't recall whether or not the keyboard lights flash or not. I have a motherboard diagnostic module that plugs into a PCI slot, and according to the code it gives me, it's POSTing just fine. Here are my system specs:

AMP Athlon XP 1700+
Abit KR7A-133R motherboard
512 MB DDR SDRAM
Chaintech GeForce4 Ti4200 128 MB AGP 8X (running at 4X due to limitations of my motherboard)
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy
Linksys NIC.

Keyboard, mouse, etc. The power supply is a "Power Man" FSP300-60GT which seems to be made by at least Aopen, maybe other companies as well. It tests fine with the power supply tester I have, but I don't know of any way to stress-test it, or test it under a load. I hope I'm not leaving anything out. :)

-Konan

yea AOpen powersupplies aernt that bad at all, i got one, FSP250-60GTW. well, for u booting problem, it might be a dead cmos battery, or possibly a loose screw in the pc resting on a pci card.

just did some research, and no wonder theyre pretty good, its made by FSP Group or, Fortron Source

Well, that's good to know. :) BTW, I forgot to post that I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2

Ok. Some new developments here. The diagnostic board I have is telling me there's no juice going to the BIOS. The keyboard lights flash, but only just after I turn the computer on. It doesn't appear to be POSTing. I've taken the computer apart and reseated everything except the CPU. I've even replaced the CMOS battery. I can't think of anything else to try at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom