Nvidia Taking Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everywhere i look there is an nvidia fanboy now. I can't stand how people defend a freakin graphics card company. Just wait and see how good the r600 is, until then Nvidia has the market. If i were to buy a gpu right now i would go with Nvidia, but don't try and say that ATI isn't just as good of a company.

TriEclipse said:
Nvidia doesn't have an independent Physics board out, so they would have to use a third videocard to calculate Physics. The extra SLI connector could also easily be used for Tri-SLI, provided the drivers.

The nvidia G80 have quantum physics technology, so you don't need a third cideo card to calculate Physics. One video card can calculate physics

003 said:
I smell the reek of fanboy that hasn't showered in at least several weeks.

The R600 WILL have 512-bit GDDR4 memory and it WILL have at least 1gb of VRAM. It's core clock speed will also be most likely 1ghz or more. These basic specs have been confirmed by many other sources than theinq. And AMD/ATI already has testing units.

My friend, my point that most of the news that come from "theinquirer" is not true.

From what I heard the R600 WILL be 512-bit and 1GB memory, but the clock speed will be ranging at 700 MHz to 800 MHz., but not 1000MHz.

But R600 will have only 64 unified shader pipelines, compared to 128 unified shader to 8800GTX

So, still the R600 don't have as many unified shader as 8800GTX.

Although as already pointed out, we can't be sure about anything until there are actual benchmarks out.

Yes and thats what I said.

We should wait until we see some benchmarks. We can't say that R600 will be better than G80 because we don't have proof.

If you remember many people waited for X1800xt and then when it came out, many people were disappointed because it came out 5 months late and it didn't outperform the 7800GTX

maroon1 said:
The nvidia G80 have quantum physics technology, so you don't need a third cideo card to calculate Physics. One video card can calculate physics.

I know, the adaptable processors and all. But we were discussing the two SLI connectors, not the ability to calculate physics.

maroon1 said:
But R600 will have only 64 unified shader pipelines, compared to 128 unified shader to 8800GTX

So, still the R600 don't have as many unified shader as 8800GTX.
the R600 has 64 real pipelines, not just shaders.
the 8800 is supposed to have 128 shaders, but the amount of real pipelines I think might be lower. I'm not 100% sure about this though.

like with the X1000 series; they have 16 pixel pipelines max, but each pipeline had 3 shaders.

personally, I think ATI might come out a winner this round. no, I'm not saying they will be a winner. just that I think they might be.

we'll still have to wait for benchmarks to be sure though.
Originally posted by TheEnd187
i was wondering what happened to my post all i can say is that intel and nvidia are on top right now. AMD still has the FX-62 but core 2 duo is out, ATI has the x1950XTX but G80 is still destroying it right now so, who cares. I've also heard about that tri SLI sounds like triple crossfire? they should've just stuck to quad SLI
I believe AMD has plans for an FX-74 soon, in socket 1207. I'm not sure if this is for K8L or K8 though

Originally posted by alexsabree
So wait? AMD and ATI are both working on the R600?

And Intel and Nvidia both made the G80?

I never knew this
AMD bought ATI
though Intel and Nvidia are separate; though it seems like Nvidia vouches for Intel more now, since AMD bought ATI.

apokalipse said:
the R600 has 64 real pipelines, not just shaders.
the 8800 is supposed to have 128 shaders, but the amount of real pipelines I think might be lower. I'm not 100% sure about this though.

My friend, there is difference between unified shader pipelines and the classical pipelines

The unified shader processors in G80 can handle pixel, vertex and geometry and physics calculations

For example, say you have scene with a lot of pixels and few vertex ops so the Stream Processors will automatically adjust it to higher pixel to vertex ratio for best results in the current scene(Say 98 pixel to 30 vertex), While next game your playing requires more vertex to pixel ratio so the card adjusts for best results(50 pixel and 78 vertex)

The same thing for R600, but it has 64 unified shader processor to do pixel, vertex and geometry compared to 128 for 8800GTX

For more information about Unified Shader processors, read these

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/391/2/
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4216&s=2
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,4746.html

maroon1 said:
My friend, there is difference between unified shader pipelines and the classical pipelines

The unified shader processors in G80 can handle pixel, vertex and geometry and physics calculations

For example, say you have scene with a lot of pixels and few vertex ops so the Stream Processors will automatically adjust it to higher pixel to vertex ratio for best results in the current scene(Say 98 pixel to 30 vertex), While next game your playing requires more vertex to pixel ratio so the card adjusts for best results(50 pixel and 78 vertex)

The same thing for R600, but it has 64 unified shader processor to do pixel, vertex and geometry compared to 128 for 8800GTX

For more information about Unified Shader processors, read these

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/391/2/
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4216&s=2
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,4746.html
I already know about the unified shaders.
I was only talking about the number of real pipelines, instead of having multiple shaders per pipeline.

Is the phyisics add-on already out?

Not that I know of.

The extra connector can also be used in a tri-card setup so you can run six monitors on it. I read where they were running two 8800s and a 7900GTX in it for that.

Trotter said:
Not that I know of.

The extra connector can also be used in a tri-card setup so you can run six monitors on it. I read where they were running two 8800s and a 7900GTX in it for that.

6 monitors....that would be pretty neat (yet highly unnecessary for most of us) I've always wanted a workstation with monitors all the way around me and I get in to the workstation circle by a trap door....ahhhhhhh dreams :-D

apokalipse said:
I believe AMD has plans for an FX-74 soon, in socket 1207. I'm not sure if this is for K8L or K8 though.

K8. The "soon" should've made as much obvious. You also won't be able to buy just one FX-74, they'll have to be bought in pairs. Its for use in AMD's 4x4 craptastic QuadFather. Not to mention 250W of power consumption, how lovely.

Its funny how AMD's Hector Ruiz criticizes the Kentsfield as not being a "true" Quad Core, and yet calls his own 2-Socket system 'QuadFather'.

KingAustin said:
6 monitors....that would be pretty neat (yet highly unnecessary for most of us) I've always wanted a workstation with monitors all the way around me and I get in to the workstation circle by a trap door....ahhhhhhh dreams :-D

6 x 30" Dell 3000WFP anyone? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom