Intel core 2 duo, how much better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the freezer 7 pro as long as your ram mhz is high enough it can reach speeds of 3.0+ easy. DDR2-677 will get you about 2.4 OC DDR 800 will get about 3.2. If you were to OC that ram to about 900 you could get about 3.6 and id say that would be your limit. Thats only with a freezer 7, a mobo that can do it, and other good cooling as well though.

Sora said:
even if it is pentium D

The Clock speed of C2D is what you see TIMES TWO.

So its 1.86x2 meaning really about 3.72ghz of Core 2 Duo Power.

Trust me it will destroy your current one, even if its a D

Correction; Dual Core doesn't mean twice the speed of one core.

It is quite literally 2 x 1.86Ghz. You can only run a program on one core, therefore the maximum clockspeed that it's going to get is 1.86Ghz. Advertising it as 3.72Ghz would mean that any one program running on either core could get 3.72Ghz of processing power behind it -- which it doesn't. Even on games that run on more than one core, there are only pieces of the game running on it. So while the Physics calculations may get one core with 1.86Ghz all to themselves, all that processing power isn't necessarily going to be utilized. That's also why Dual Core is better for multitasking, and isn't necessarily going to make your computer faster. Only exception I can think of is encoding/decoding; both cores are utilized and the process goes much faster.

j369852147412 said:
Has anyone oc the 6300 to 2.4 yt?

2.4? Try 3.6.

Thats what i meant so say. I knew there wasnt 2 Cores running at 2x1.86 each. That would be like the new Quad core no? As for the 3.76ghz i know that each core runs a certain application up to 1.86ghz and you dont really use both cores for one thing usually but I see how that sounded. As for the part about it not really being faster on one thing I didint know that. I guess the reason the C2D are so fast is becuase of all the new tech that Intel added to them. hehe thanks for the info

The Core 2 Duo is faster because a 2.4Ghz E6600 has no competition in the field. :) It would take a 3.1+ Ghz Athlon 64 to beat it.

j369852147412 said:
no i have ddr400 pc3200. can i use a memory divider.

You'll need new memory, can't run DDR on a Core 2 Duo system.

Yeah, you can use memory dividers, but you'll still need about DDR2-667 just because the Core 2 Duo and it's FSB will go so high.

Krustis, I recently bought my core 2 duo system and I upgraded from a 3.2ghz P4. The difference is overwhelming. You probably won't fully appreciate the upgrade unless you go back and use your old system and realize how kick *** your new system is. Go for it and buy it, it's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom