whered my GB's go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i got this western digital 80GB, WD800JB, its the 8mb special edition one. now my problem is that i got rid of my 40gb drive cause i was starting to get read errors, and i installed windows on the 80gb. now the bios is from 98, and dosent support drives larger than 64gb, but in the other installation that was on the 40gb, i could use and see all 80gb's that was in it, now its saying that its only 31GB. whered the other 49GB go? ive already gone into computer management / disk management, thats where its reporting 31GB, and the WD disk says the same thing. suggestions?

bmxfreakrider said:
got the most recent bios, and i got sp2 with everything else downloaded in updates.

Did you partition the drive properly?

Go START --> CONTROL PANELS --> ADMINISTRATION TOOLS --> COMPUTER MANAGEMENT
Then
Look under STORAGE, then DISK MANAGEMENT

Check if your partition is taking up the entire drive.
If you are nor sure what I am talking about, then take a screen capture and post it on line.

its taking all but 3mb of it. already took a screenshot, like even before i created this thread, just havent uploaded it yet

cmdscr.jpg

I have seen this before (and with another 80 WD Hard drive last week).

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but your hard drive is stuffed. Back up your data, and be prepaired to send it off for RMA, provided that you still have Warranty on it.

****. so theres no way to save it? cause i cant send it in(dont think neways, its out of warranty

crap...today aint my day either, turky got burnt, had to eat ham, eggs were rotton...diareia(how ever its spelt), popcorn stuck in a hole where my wizdom used to be(got most of it out, still a peice left, and now its bleeding like crazy), my other pc took a crap, and on top of that, my tv wont turn on. brilliant

just looked around the site, and think i got it. link

well, my day just got better. no, not being sarcastic, but literaly, i got the other space to show up! no kidding, i hot swapped it into another pc,(the one that crapped out, was lucky it p0wered on this time) and in disk management it showed the full 80gb (the other was unpartioned), so i swapped it back into this one, and viola! it was there. got a screen shot, so...um yea. how do you join two partions together, and one is the active windows partion?

Attachments

• sgfhg.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41
I would still be running the WD Hard Drive utilities and checking for bad sectors. I am going to assume that you set this hard drive up currectly. And these sorts of problems just don't just happen.

I would be warry on what you put on that drive. I

na, the hdd is good, works on every pc ive tried, its the bios on this pc. i have 2 identical towers, this is the good tower, both got the same bios, but the other tower(the one i jumpstarted the drive with)has a fried usb controller, so its no good to me. it works perfect now, i just need a program that will merge two partitions that are on the same physical drive into one drive "letter". as it is now(just reformatted and reinstalled) i got 50GB free(unallocated) and 24GB in C:. ive heard alil about a program called partion magic. will that do the trick? the wd cdrom dosent do that type of things, just partition to partition data copy. no partition merging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom