"My Computer" Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinator9

Baseband Member
When I double click "My Computer" it comes up with the window and "Local Disk (C: )" is highlighted blue... I double click that and that opens and in there "Documents and Settings" are highlighted blue as well as "UNWISE.EXE", "INSTALL.LOG" and "AVG7QT.DAT". The last 3 are compressed files... In "Documents and Settings", "All Users" is highlighted and those are all the things that are highlighted. Not highlighted like when you click and drag over text but the text IS blue...

In "INSTALL.LOG" it says this:
*** Installation Started 02/22/2006 11:04 ***
Title: Installation
Source: E:\player\SKIN.EXE | 01-31-2002 | 23:58:02 | 725005
File Copy: C:\UNWISE.EXE | 05-24-2001 | 12:59:30 | | 162304 | 432c52a3
RegDB Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
RegDB Val:
RegDB Name: DisplayName
RegDB Root: 2
RegDB Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
RegDB Val: C:\UNWISE.EXE C:\INSTALL.LOG
RegDB Name: UninstallString
RegDB Root: 2
File Overwrite: C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll | | | | 58938 | 2d1835a8
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\ActiveSkin.INI | 01-18-2002 | 18:12:32 | | 112 | 398ca304
File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveSkin.ocx | 09-30-2001 | 19:10:44 | 3.65.0.0 | 246784 | 73c606a4
File Overwrite: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll | | | | 131856 | 97e6a077
File Overwrite: C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll | | | | 166160 | 7eec9854
File Overwrite: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll | | | | 291600 | f0f51099
Self-Register: C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
Self-Register: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveSkin.ocx
Self-Register: C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll

In "AVG7QT.DAT" I try and open it (it comes up as a notepad file) but it locks up and the computer says it isn't responding...

When I double click on "UNWISE.EXE" and it initializes an uninstall program. It has a little blue window saying "Initializing Wise Uninstall Wizard...". It then opens a uninstall wizard thing where you click repair, auto or custom. I don't want to push the next button in case it does something...

What is wrong with my pc?

it might be a virus maybe.....or you could reformat your pc which i dont think you want to do.

reformat?
I don't think it's a virus. I've got the latest avg with all updates and it scans daily and I have a firewall.

Open "my computer" under Tools>Folder Options>View...Files and Folders
"Display compressed files and folders with alternate color"

Uncheck that if it is checked.
I'm not sure if that is the correct path to that option since I'm using Win2k.

Maybe try looking for something similar to (compressed files and color) that under that option. I don't have xp so it's abit hard to help you specifically on it.

I got your back, Brinks. :)

Open "My Computer." Tools>Options. Click the "View" tab. Scroll all the way to the bottom. Uncheck "Show encrypted and compressed NTFS files in color."

That should get rid of the color. If it doesn't, then you have a virus. Otherwise, they are just compressed files. Personally, i'd right-click on the drive (in My Computer) and go into Properties and uncheck "Compress drive to save space."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom