windows 2000 server services

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Is there a way to tell a service to start at bootup no matter wat? I have a service that won't start automatically and i need it to. VMware Server 1.0.1's service: vmware-serverd won't start automatically, but it must start in order for vmware server to run properly. Otherwise every time i reboot the server i need to remote control it to start the service manually.

Thanks in advance.

What if you place the executable that the service is launching in the startup items?All its launching is a .exe file.

Thats what i thought it was, just an exe. I thought i had tried running the prog manually..but won't i have to login anyway then? anyway, last time i tried launching the exe it didn't work, i'll try it again tho.

thanks for the reply.

You cant launch the exe directly it wont work..it has to be from a dos based env not windows..what if you whiped up a batch file with the proper switches of the EXE you are trying to launch?

i.e.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

Code:
Start->Settings->Control Panel

Administrative Tools->Computer Management

Services And Applications->Services

Right click the service->Properties->Startup->Automatic

That is what is not working? Mmm, not sure. Could make a batch file... with:
net start <service name>
And put that in the startup folder? Mmm, just a guess!

yes, that's correct, when i go into services and set it to auto, it won't start automatically.

I have a batch file ready. BUT, if i put it in the all users start up folder, won't someone still have to login for it to run?

it is an AD environment but not othis server...i suppose i could join it

i'll try that tonight, thanks.

Did you test it first though? Pointless to make a policy if it doesnt work..you avoid many layers of troubleshooting this way.

Wat's there to test besides the batch? all i have to do is make sure the batch works, join the server to the domain and add the batch file as a startup script to the computer policy and push that to the ou right? or am i missing some steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom