Give me reasons to switch to 2003 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

htcs

In Runtime
I need your opinions.

Currently at work we have NT4 as our PDC. Everything works just the way it should - however, I feel as if i need a project and wanted to move towards 2003. You know... be prepared for the future kind of thing?!

The only problem here is - what will the advantages be? What can 2003 do that NT4 can't? I have a network of about 85 clients and 8 servers (Oracle, SQL, NT4, 2000, NAS, LINUX) - just a whole mix of junk.

Now one thouht was to consolidate - move 9 servers into a max of 3.

What are the pro's and con's with 2K3?

The current setup with NT4 is basic. Got users, 4 departments (groups) and that's about it.

Why should or shouldn't I go to 2003:question:

Thanks in advance.

That's great - but what about personal views. That's the standard blurb from Microsoft - I want to know what YOU think, what YOUR reasons or points are.

From my experience with it, it's the easiest to manage environment I have been in. I've used nt4 and 2000 and 2003 makes things just a bit easier. Once you start thinking central management, nt4 just doesn't cut it any more. Plus getting things working in AD makes life that much better, and the enhancements that 2003 has over 2000 shows through when working in AD. The ability to update and deploy GPO's to groups or individuals withouth needing to manage scripts to drive it is a nice plus.

What I don't know is why you don't want to move away from NT4?

I have about 30 minutes experience with 2003 server. All of my experience is with 2k so I am no help. I do have a box here that I installed 2003 on just to see what it does differently. So far it just seems smoother.

I'm taking a Server 2003 Advanced Admin Course in October. Its a 13 week course 2x a week. Kinda excited. Now the company is paying - however - they don't see a reason as to why we should move ahead (considering cost of new server hardware, Server 2003 and Licenses) as of yet. I see it as a need to upgrade and move on with things. Just trying to get points out to them to justify their 'cost' for the course!

You know what i'm sayin'?!

Hey Inaris, can i quote you in my report - especially the part where you said "What I don't know is why you don't want to move away from NT4?" ?

Group policy.

I just installed a application yesterday to 120 computers with no work on my part. I just wrote the policy and let it run.

Management
AD is MUCH better .. NT4 is just bad

End of life

NT4 is no longer supported ... best to upgrade now while you can. exchange 2003 cant be installed on NT4, so no decent mail.

Ok - so its been awhile since i posted this ... post. I've had some preliminary meetings with interested parties and so far I'm getting much opposition to the move.

The biggest argument is - its worked for us thus far, why change? And... passwords slow production down! (yeah, can you believe that!) or 'No one would ever think of deleting files or try to sabotage the network!' (and i say... pffffT - I've done it! It wasn't on purpose in my earlier days... but i still did it, just like someone else could!).

I keep reiterating that NT4 lacks security, functionality, compatibility, support, and so much more. I just can't get them to agree. I'm getting dizzy with all the circles I'm running here!

HELP! :) Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom