Windows shuts down but power still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
I just setup a new rig for a friend.. and installed his XP Home, Japanese version.

All is fine, but funny thing is when you shutdown, it does shut down, including the harddrive activity led etc.. however the computer hardware is still on.. the CPU fan is still turning, etc..

Another weird thing is when i REBOOT, same thing happens, the computer shut's down, but doesnt go back on.. but like the shutdown scenario the fans are still turning..

Normally i'd think it's hardware problem.. i troubleshooted everything, and everything seems to be fine on the hardware leveL.

also.. weird thing is.. when i reformatted and installed windows XP pro, ENGLISH version, everything seems to be fine.. shutdown, reboot, all is well.. confirms that the hardware is OK. .

so reformatted again and installed the XP Home, japanese version.. same problem.. did it all over again. same thing.. weird ey?

what do you think is the problem?

you mean it will hangs on when Win shutting down blue Screen ?

if so have you installed anything els on windows .. ??

it has been known that this issue will occurs when installing Norton Antivirus.

if there is nothing you can try the following steps:

1. you can make a backup copy for the registry and try this step which is basically speed up the End time for each service before windows shutdown !

8ae666d2e7.jpg

2. try to download this Tool ( Shut down enforcer ) which I have been using for months and it's working Great!

Good Luck

nope it doesnt hang.. it really shuts down.. but the computer doesnt seem to want to shut off lol

i found the solution (accidentaly).. i was disabling some annoying keyboard stuff (it was making me type in japanese...f**^).. i think it was that IME thing for the keyboard (?) i unchecked it. and it shuts down/reboots nicely now.

Japan has a law which prevents software from physically powering down the PC automatically. Much to the annoyance of the populace and subbornance of the government.

It dates back to the Windows 3.1 days. Part of the reason why early version of Windows 9x would include the screen "It is now safe to shut down your computer."

Ok, not really. But Happy Thanksgiving anyways!

were is this "IME" <- options?

is this option also on English XPpro versions?

Im asking because i had a problem witch sounds almost exactly the same, except i was using a normal English XPpro.... except my problem with the Shurtown/startup prob was Randome and intermitten. like it would do what you said maybe 1 out of ~8 shutdowns perhpas.

im NOT a noob to hardware so i tested and double checked everything... i also had double of most components so i could double test with swapped parts except the CPU, and Mobo... In the end i concluded that it was just a defect with the MoBo, or Mobo's BIOS.. I did try reflashing the BIOS even though it was already upto date, but in short it Had no affect.

..so even though my problem was likely hardware related... interesting how your prob sounds almost exactly the same... so i would like to know were that option is just incase.

-----------------
EDIT: also note, Dont mess with the specific Registry option "amlife" posted above... Im NOT a noob to registry tweaks, and in the past iv done some basic ones to optimizer sertain windows installs.. and Those WaitToKillService/App/ hangtimout Reg Options can cause issues if you set them Too low... and I never set them bellow 1000... So, yea justa Warning, Its probably not a issue for everyone, but Changing those Specific mentioned reg options can cause issues... I personally just leave them at default, it doenst affect performance and it only Affects shurtown anyway, so i dont care

yeah i dunno what its got to do with the problem but it sure did cure it..

here's a page that describes IME stuff. you can see screen shots..

http://www.declan-software.com/japanese_ime/#XPinstall

Try disabling all of it .. that's what i did.. just luck.. felt like disabling all those IME stuffs.. (coz i also read somewhere that IME's can cause shutdown problems).. and to my own surprise, it works..

good luck

Thx for the link.

Quote "The IME (Input Management Editor) is a Windows add-on provided by Microsoft that allows users of English (and other) versions of Windows to type complex East Asian scripts."

thats not enabled by default on english WinXP... besides, Since i disable all unnessesary crap like that it woulda been disabled if it had been on by default in my case.

anyway, though that clearly has nothing to do with what my particular issue was know that i know what options IME refers to... Good to know though for future diagnosing references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom