New Mobo/CPU install, always have to to fresh OS install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
New Mobo/CPU install, always have to do fresh OS install?

Just curious to know if it is ever possible to install a new mobo and CPU without a fresh install? I tried it once, and when it got to the Win XP splash screen it just rebooted. I've read it's best to do a clean install, so I assume it's possible. About to do a new build and it would be very convenient if all I had to do was pop in the HDD and boot up. If it DID boot, would I be looking at potential problems in the future with hardware conflicts?

Your HAL won't work unless it is the exact same MOBO model and type. It may not work even then. Fresh format/install is the way to go.

It can occasionally work. Done it before at work, I started with fix /mbr and a few other utils but eventually got it working after a repair install. I suggest a fresh ffr, I wound up doing that anyhow but had a few projects needed to be removed after a failed controller.

I would not recommend doing that. I would always start out with a fresh install to avoid conflicts. If you was lucky and it worked I still bet the system was not 100%

fresh install, i say!!

cause there are drivers that are only installed in windows installation and they are not installed in normal environment,,

so fresh install......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom